Western Digital Mybook issue

Reaction score
I bought a MyBook 500gig Essential Edition back in November so to store music on it ( iBook G4 was running out of space). It has worked faultlessly until recently. ran a disk repair on the ibook and since then ibook and Mybook havnt been reading from the same page (see what i did there ).
It seems that the ibook knows when the Mybook is connected (it makes whiring noises and can be seen in the disc utlity menu), but we cannot access any of the files on the Mybook, or basically do anything with it.

We are running out of idea's and i'm concerned as i don't want to loose my music collection.
ibook G4 is running Osx 10.4.11 and the MyBook is model number WD5000C032-002.

Please let me know if you ahve any ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
All I can say is the MyBook is the worst HD I have ever bought.. Ive had a couple go out on me.. and the only reason they have gone out on me a couple times, is that when I sent it back to them, they sent me another. Reading articles on the net it sounds like the MyBook is notorious for problems, and is a horrible drive. I lost everything on mine :(

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if there may be a firmware update for the MyBook that could be possibly installed...that may help...just a thought.

OP
dougle_2k
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the messages... It's wierd because on a friends PC it open fine! All happy, but on my mac nothing, i wanted to throw ito ut of the window but i know that just really wont help. I've tried rebooting and something about resetting power, i've tried disk repair in computer and Mybook and says theres and error. I recently updated iTunes, and after reading some other forums, a lot of people have had the same problem after having done so. I'm just getting very frustrated! Arhh! I may just need to buy a new computer!!!:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.