Time Machine full system restore changes your login password- Not Robust

Reaction score
When restoring Leopard from time machine it changed my password!!!! Also in the 2nd attempt using migration assistant, it created a new user and restored everything since the name of the new installation matched the backup. How can make the time machine restored back up the only user to which the computer boots into!

Please see detailed explanation below:

What I did:

1> I replaced my 80GB mac book hard drive with a new 250GB HD

2> I used the leopard CD to install the OS

3> In the CD I picked disk utilities to partition the disk and clicked GUID

4>At some point leopard asked me if I wanted to transfer everything from my time machine back up or a another mac

5> I picked time machine and everything went smoothly

THEN

6> The system rebooted displaying my login name and asked me for a login password. I entered my password (the password that I always used whenever any software was installed etc...I definitely put in the correct password). The system would not allow me to login

7> I tried to go into the OS disk and used the password reset utility but that did not work

8> So, I repartitioned my hard drive and reinstalled my OS without using time Machine back up

9> Everything went fine, OS was up and running

BUT I NEEDED MY FILES BACK

10> So I used the migration assistant to restore my system to an earlier date using my time machine back up

11>It gave me a message saying that the name of the backup and the user name of the system is the same and asked me to change the back up name. Which I did!

12>Time machine then created a new user the one that I changed on time machine and restored everything.

14> Problem is that I have two users now

15> I dont want two users and when I boot up, I am not logged into my old restored system which was done using time machine. I am logged into my new installation and I have to logout of that one and login to the other one each time.

SO WHAT DO I WANT TO KNOW?

1>WHY DID TIME MACHINE CHANGE MY LOGIN PASSWORD?

2>WHY DID TIME MACHINE FORCE ME TO CREATE A NEW NAME FOR THE BACK UP AND THEN CREATE A NEW USER WHERE IT RESTORED EVERYTHING

3>HOW CAN I DELETE THE NEW USER AND GET MAC TO BOOT INTO MY TIME MACHINE RESTORED USER (Basically my old computer which was backed up before I replaced my hard drive)

Reaction score
Never mind. I found it.

Insert the install dvd.
Hold down C while restarting to force start from dvd.
Use the reset password utility from the utilities menu.
Quit installation and restart.

Reaction score
I ran into this as well, I think what's happening is if you do a Time Machine restore using a stock Leopard CD (rather than the CDs that came with your Mac), it does a password reset for security reasons. It sounds like that's what happened in your case? In my case, I found it also disabled all file sharing I had turned on as well.

I'm OK with it doing that, but I sure wish they'd put up a message about it during the restore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I ran into this as well, I think what's happening is if you do a Time Machine restore using a stock Leopard CD (rather than the CDs that came with your Mac), it does a password reset for security reasons. It sounds like that's what happened in your case? In my case, I found it also disabled all file sharing I had turned on as well.

I'm OK with it doing that, but I sure wish they'd put up a message about it during the restore.

I doubt that it does that, as I have restored from a Time Machine backup a few times and it has never reset my password. There must be some commonality between what you all are doing to make it do that, or my Time Machine is just the statistical outlier in this case. ;D

Reaction score
The issue looks to be that they did an install and migration. I have not seen the issues mentioned here. This is how I do a restore and everything is back. User passowrd shares.

1. Install new disk
2. boot install dvd
3. Use disk utility from drop down menu ad partition the new driver.
4. REBOOT the install dvd
5. From the drop down menu select time machine.
6. follow the prompt select time machine volume
7. Select which back up to use
8. Select the new partition.

Note that it does not matter what you call the new patition Timemachine will rename it to the old volume name.

Also it takes about a minute per GB restored.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.