SSH (With Gui)

Reaction score
I need to loggin to an SSH server. I know I can do it with the terminal, But im after a GUI alternative so I dont have to go learning how to do everything with the terminal.

Does go>Connect to server in the finder work when connecting so an SSH server?

what is the best Putty (SSH Client) equivalent for a mac?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
SSH is a command line protocol. Putty is no different; all it does is show a dialog to open the connection. You're going to have to learn to use the command line to use SSH, whether you use the Terminal or Putty on a PC.

OP
I
Reaction score
Programs like Putty and Winscp Give you GUI's for the SSH protocal...

I want one of these for macs. There must be atleast one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Umm...no, they don't. Have a good look at a screenshot:
Putty_windowsvista.png

That's a command line. Just like the Terminal gives you.

Now, yes, they do show a dialog to enter the server name and such...but you still get dumped into a command line once your'e finished. So, one way or the other, you're going to need to learn to use one. There's not much point in connecting to a SSH session when you don't know how to use the command line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

Are you just looking for a way to save ssh information? That being what servers you're connecting to? Or are you trying to use ssh for tunneling?

If you want the later you can do that by issuing:
ssh -l username -L <port>:you.server.com:<port> you.server.com

Then point your client to 127.0.0.1

If you want to save them my solution (since I connect to multiple hosts) is to add the following in my local .profile

alias ssh<servername>="ssh f<user>@<host>"

then I can just type ssh<servername> at the prompt and it'll connect and ask me for a password

and last, if you really want a GUI there's JellyfiSSH, which I've never used..
http://www.grepsoft.net/

Reaction score
There's not much point in connecting to a SSH session when you don't know how to use the command line.
Yeah I think the OP's desire is that a GUI front-end would organize ssh sessions. Like SecureCRT on windoze, which provides a hierarchical way to organize all terminal based access. For example, you could have a folder called "Customer A" which contains all connections (ssh, serial, telnet, etc.) for all of the machines (servers, routers, etc.) at Customer A. In addition, SecureCRT can store configuration settings (SSH version, COM rate, machine name/IP, login name, etc.)

This is much simpler than using terminal directly and hoping that you can remember all of the command line switches for all possible equipment. If someone says "look at customer C's switch" you can get to in a couple of clicks.

I don't know of a good program to organize sessions on the Mac, but I'd pay $100 for one if I could find it. Perhaps the other programs listed on this thread?

Reaction score
imme, I think I know exactly what you mean. It is what I have been searching for too.

Yes I have seen the lniks above, but am at work on a PC at the moment so can not try them and comment on them.

I think I can see what imme is after, as one of the other posters pointed out it is a great way to save and instantly access a session without remembering all the switches, syntax etc.

As for the comment about needing to know all that anyway to use an SSH session, I would have to partially disagree. Yes sure you need it all for complex use, but for my use at least remembering it all is not required.
My use of an SSH session to my NAS box usually consists of cd to a directory, ls -l it and use chown or chmod. There may be the odd mkdir or rm dir but that is about it.

If you are a regular user, then doing the lot initially from the terminal is no big deal, but for a simple user ( like myself) who does not need it very often, (and when I do the usage is very basic), then having a GUI do all the 'complex' stuff is great.

I use a private/public dsa keypair security and would not have a clue how to do that from a terminal/command line, and even if I did, I may need to use it once every few months or so at the most. Obviously others have different needs, but my main need for it is to connect to my NAS box, when its webbased GUI cant do it

As a thought, imme, you could do what I do for the moment, use Fusion or Parallels with a basic windows install and continue to use Putty. I alway scarry Putty portable ( plus a load of other portable apps) on a USB stick, so even if you do not have your laptop/home machine, you can plug the USB stick in to any nearby windows machine.

Anyway, good luck, and if you find one of those links from the others does give a good Putty /Pagent clone for the Mac let us know back here.

Cheers

Neil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.