• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

THE Gran Turismo 5: Prologue Thread

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
good link K3rm0r - better walk though than i found... :)

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Thanks the link K3. I can hold out till it's full and I borrow a external HD.

My TV is pretty nice I think. A Toshlink cable should only cost a few $ anyways. Couldn't hurt to give it a whirl I guess.

Reaction score
btw if u have some sort of config on the your system, it might be enabled, like i got a DTS system and afaik PS3 suports it, gives a tad better sound(havent notice anything but). am kinda clueless on sound systems so :p

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I noticed last time I configured the audio, each configuration had different settings and HDMI had the highest seting but because the sound is I guess downgraded to composite audio, maybe I could get a better quality sound by using a toslink cable to my receiver instead of the TV.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
online was fun except the retards who keep bumping into u :p

Yea, I am hoping the intermediate tracks have better drivers. It's nice have real competition because the computer is so easy.

Reaction score
aye, just sucks when ppl abuse everything to win. i was in th lead and some retard just showed me off the way and i went back to 8th place ffs

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, they do whatever to get ahead and the sad thing, it works better than following the course properly.

That's my only beef with online play.

Reaction score
aye just hitting the person infront of u in a turn is more effective than doing the turn. wich kinda sux

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sometimes it works better to race properly, often i'll find myself slowing ahead of them and as long as i watch behind me to make sure i don't get slammed, they fly past mash themselves into a big nasty mess on the outside of the turn and i buzz by whilst clipping the apex. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I was just playing online as well... in each race I can get to 1st place, but the best I am able to finish is 5th :( With the Ferrari 599. Does the sixaxis controller help in cornering by tilting it to the side???

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so last night i think i figured out that i am, with little uncertainty, a tuner. all i can think of when i'm having a hard time winning some of the trickier offline races is how i can tweak the cars to make them go faster. and i can't do that until i finish the races... grrrrrr.

not to say i'm slow or sloppy, but when i have a car like the integra and it pushes as it does, all i want to do is adjust it's suspension... badly. in past iterations of the game i've always been able to get just about any front driver to oversteer nicely - grip tenaciously in the front and slide it's tail - it's a bit painful to be relegated to stock settings.
and of course with some gear tweaking i could shave even more tenths or full seconds off my laptimes ;)

RIDE, maybe they'll add that to the full version of GT5 - at least for the daihatsu midget. :D

Reaction score
WOW.
This is a very interesting discussion.
I love GT, but sadly, I do not have a PS3, but even if I did I wouldn't be able to play online..... :(
I did have GT4 when I had my PS2.
Anyone try those cheats where you get the SUPER nitro boost so you cruise around at like 600mph in a car with like 20hp?
That was pretty crazy, although VERY dizzying.

So you all just get together and race each other?
Sounds fun, although I admit i'm a horrible racer, I don't really take it that seriously, i'm just like OH, A CAR, LET'S SEE IF I CAN SEND IT FISHTAILING!

My brother and I play multiplayer all the time and it's a lot of pushing, shoving, bumping, crashing, and all that.
In the game of course, not real life. ;)

back on subject starting now!

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally got first place in an online race. I picked up my favorite car, the Lotus Elise 111R. It handles very nicely, even when it's sideways. I so wish I could own an Elise in real life.

I see you have GT5: P Tom?? :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I
Would I get any improved sound if I directly connected my PS3 via Toshlink cable to my stereo instead of the HDMI to my tv which connect to my stereo via composite audio cables?

Probably, but am sure it will depend on the title. You'll not be passing 5.1 sound through using RCA plugs as you can with optical.

Yep, picked it up after work yesterday. I'm, uhm, have to think of a word ... terrible, yeah, that it.
A lot different type of game than the NFS I played on the 360. Give me a few hours, no, better make that weeks of practice. :D

Got my new receiver set up this morning also. Watched I am Legend - TrueHD is pretty impressive.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First Official Time Trial
Requirements:

'04 Honda Integra Type R
High Speed Ring
Turn Driving Physics to Professional
Sport S2 Tires
All Other options can be modified

No tuning yet and lap cannot count if a penalty was given. Lap time will show in red.

6 Laps

Edit: Only need your fastest lap.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably, but am sure it will depend on the title. You'll not be passing 5.1 sound through using RCA plugs as you can with optical.

Yep, picked it up after work yesterday. I'm, uhm, have to think of a word ... terrible, yeah, that it.
A lot different type of game than the NFS I played on the 360. Give me a few hours, no, better make that weeks of practice. :D

Got my new receiver set up this morning also. Watched I am Legend - TrueHD is pretty impressive.

I guess what's why the sound didn't work at all when I switched it to DTS 5.1. My receiver supports it.

I made the trip to Fry's and messed with the Onkyo 605. I want one so badly now. I could totally afford the $300 refurbished one on Amazon but I'd have to buy a whole new set of speakers. I couldn't afford a new set. I was listening to a pair of Bose 201 bookshelf speakers and they sounded amazing.

What do you or recommend Tom? I would need something affordable (maybe $400 for a 7.1 set) but not too loud so i could actually use them without getting kicked out of my building. Or too large because my space is quite cramped.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What speakers do you have now that couldn't be used on a new receiver?

I got to where years ago, no one in the house could appreciate the sound quality differences in the speakers I was use to buying when I was single.

Nowadays, am just using Infinty's in the Fam. Rm and in the M.Bdrm. Have one set equivalent prob to the TSS-800 in the BdRm and a set similar to the TSS 1200 in the Fam. Rm. And did replace the Infinity sub in the FR for more output and a little cleaner bottom end. Tend to watch movies at theatre volumes. And as an old hippie and sorta ex musician, believe in listening to music at the volume at which it was played. (30 years and the wife is still going "do you have to listen to it that loud?)

Have become accustomed to the lower sonic quality I was accustomed to. But would be willing to wager any $800 MSRP set of Infinity's could blow away the $1000 - $1500 Bose speakers, particularly for theatre and gaming. And Amazon has those $800 list for $349 right now. If I was in the market for another set of 5.1's for a small room, or just not enough cash for the ones I wanted, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another set of them. The ones in the BdRm are at least 10 years old now and still put out a great sound. PS3 is hooked up to these.

Of course, everyones ear and what they like is a little different. But, have never had anyone that wasn't surprised by both the quality and cleanness of the reproduction from them, particularly for the price. They are plenty adequate. for those that consider Bose adequate, the Infinitys' are more than adequate.

I have not moved to a 7.1 set-up. Probably will not either. Unless I get a house with a much larger room. I have considered it, but watching any action movie I have, am still really satisfied with my 5.1 set up. While 7.1 capability has been standard on most receivers for a few years, I don't believe I've ever seen a 7.1 audio track on a disk. Probably bandwidth issue on optical. We may have some come down the pike with TrueHD and DTS HD/MA now, but sort of doubt it would become the standard for recording for a while yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.