Fooling PMU/PAV board

B

ben.wykes

Hi,

I am new to imacs (generally don't veer away from Linux) and as a consequence I upgraded an imac to MacOS X without upgrading the firmware first ....... has caused me no end of trouble -- resulting in a seemingly dead imac.

I found this website (http://www.capecodgraphics.com/imac_firmware.htm) which described my problem exactly, and also said how I could bring the machine back to life again!

My problem now is the following instructions on the page ....

"(This applies to slot loaders only) We need to fool the PMU into running the full startup sequence even if it previously thought the PAV board was fried. One method is to unplug the video connector that connects the video card through to the motherboard. With the iMac sitting on its screen and its top off, go for the large metal connector held in by 2 screws that is right of centre and towards the top of the PAV board. It’s easy to spot as it is at an angle. Taking the top off the iMac exposes the high voltage CRT and exposes you to the risk of severe electric shock. Be very careful and don’t go in there unless you know what you are doing. Make sure you remove the power cable first."

Now .... I could really do with a diagram / picture online that shows me exactly where the Video connector is - so I don't make any (more) mistakes....

Anyone got a link/pic they can email?

Thanks,

Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.