If you ever find that your Airport Extreme is dropping the signal ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac & MB Air
... just change the channel!

I'm running a new 24" iMac and a MacBook Air off of an Airport Extreme Base Station. I was finding the signal to be strong, but unreliable as it would suddenly drop both computers for no apparent reason. It would take anywhere between 2-20 minutes to reconnect and was frustrating.

One call to Apple (I am new at this) and the tech recommended I change the channel from the factory setting, which I think was 1, to channel 11. The tech said the problem was likely interference from other devices in the area as I live in an apartment and that switching to channel 11 remedies this problem most of the time.

I've now been on channel 11 for about 2 weeks and haven't once dropped the signal from either computer. It's all good. :Cool:

Again, I am new at this so this fix might very well be common sense to all of you, but hey, if you're having this problem and don't know what to so, give it a shot!

Reaction score
Thanks a lot!
I was using the Airport Extreme and getting frustrated because I would lose downloads when using torrents.
But I switched the channel and all is well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Yup--- could be interference from your neighbors or even within your own unit.

When I lived in a condo, I had a 2.4GHz cordless phone that managed to whack my router every time I got a call. When I changed the channel, the problem went away until I heard my neighbor's phone ring and my connection went out again.

To solve the problem, I changed the router channel again, and got a 900 MHz phone. Then a year later, I bought a house, so no more interference from the neighbors. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This suggestion and much, much more info regarding the Wi-Fi is available here.

Reaction score
signal dropping

I just read your advise on this, and im not sure how to change the channel, there are like another 10 wireless networks around my apartment, and it keeps happening, thanks :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just read your advise on this, and im not sure how to change the channel, there are like another 10 wireless networks around my apartment, and it keeps happening, thanks :)

This is done from your router's configuration web page. Accessing that web page will vary based on the make and model of the router you use. Your router's manual should cover the process. The wireless channel should be set under the heading of "Basic Wireless Settings" or something similar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.