New Leopard freezes everything.

Reaction score
Hi,
I was curious if anyone possible has run into this before.
I'm running a dual 1.8 powerpc desktop G5 and decided recently to upgrade to leopard.
So I purchased it, installed it and all went smoothly. But then I realized that my wacom wasn't working so after messing around I downloaded the driver and went to install it and just end up getting the pinwheel forever. So then I figure I must need to run software updates, so I try to download them and I get the pinwheel before I can even get to the download. So I bypass the built in software update and get the bundle patch directly from apple.com and once again as soon as i start uploading it...pinwheel.
So after a few days I've decided that leopard may not be for me so I grabbed my old cds, and sure enough as soon as I try to install my old os x...pinwheel.
I'm really at a loss here, I would appreciate any help at all...I can't seem to find anything about this anywhere and it seems now that I'm stuck with a non-operating system.

-Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Have you updated to 10.5.2? I did and I am fooling with my laser mouse now. Odd things - remember to fix permissions as the first line of defense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
OP
M
Reaction score
The disk repair is greyed out.

I clicked on verify disk thinking maybe i had to do that before being able to repair it and it has been verifying for about 15 minutes, how long should it take?

OP
M
Reaction score
HDD appears to be says its ok, I am now checking disk permisions.

I am open to any ideas, I'm about to the point where i'm going to try to reformat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HDD appears to be says its ok, I am now checking disk permisions.

I am open to any ideas, I'm about to the point where i'm going to try to reformat.
If repair permissions doesn't help, you might as well do the Erase and Install.

Are you using Tiger or Leopard?

For future reference...
  1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
  2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
    Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
  6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
Tip: Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume. Otherwise, you might see some disk error messages.

OP
M
Reaction score
leopard.

I made the jump from panther to leopard, and everything appeared fine at first but it went downhill from there.

OP
M
Reaction score
I did try to reinstall the driver but it just kept freezing just like trying to do the combo update for 10.5.2

If repairing the partition doesn't work, it's time to start fresh.

Thanks for all the help. Much more helpfull than applecare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did try to reinstall the driver but it just kept freezing just like trying to do the combo update for 10.5.2

If repairing the partition doesn't work, it's time to start fresh.

Thanks for all the help. Much more helpfull than applecare.
Thanks! I like to think I try.:Smirk:

After installing, repair permissions before updating. You can also try starting in Safe mode and then apply the updates. (sometimes it helps)
And again, after the updates, Repair permissions again. (seems excessive, but can stop problems from starting)

And if trying your Wacom again, follow their instructions and see if it helps.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.