Magsafe BURNT

Reaction score
So my CUDDLY WUDDLY SOFT AND PRWESHOUS magsafe was having an issue with the light.. sometimes it wouldn't work, sometimes it would.. but i dont think that has anything to do what happened next!

I was charging my macbook with my magsafe and all the wires were straight (no sharp bends or knots in the cable) i smell someting burning, see a spark and notice that the cable is melting a centimeter from the actual charger (the brick part).

So my warranty is expired but do think apple will give me a knew charger cuz it burnt? or am i RUNNING DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET STARKERS AND out of luck and have to buy a new one? (found some on ebay for about $45..)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Squeaky wheels get the oil! Take it to your local Apple store and show them what happened and tell them that it was a fire hazard. Speak to the store manager if necessary. Who knows, maybe if you make enough of a fuss they'll give you a new one free of charge. What have you got to lose?

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
First off.. sorry for my language in my first post, i like how you "cleaned" it up ;)

ok, so when i went to apple last week to get my battery replaced, i told them about the charger light, and the "genius" attempted to get me a free charger but everything he tried it kept showing a price, whereas for the battery it zero-ed it out as a free exchange.. But that was before it burnt..

So i googled and ran into This article stating that mac has been replacing defective magsafe chargers but that was written in 2006.. i guess i will go in and see if they'll do it, as you said, got nothing to loose!

Reaction score
my Magsafe started to melt at the computer-end a couple weeks ago... it's 6 months out of warranty. I called Apple and they offered to send me a new one without me even asking. Definitely worth a call.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
if you talk to a manager, your set.

show him the burn marks, and then tell him they CAN replace it free of charge. Tell him if you werent home, your house couldve been next.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.