Streaming video on Power Mac G4

Reaction score
i recently found my old G4 tower and wanted to use it for simple streaming of videos and hook it up to my flat screen. it has 1.25GB RAM, 500MHZ CPU, 64MB video card and 6GB free disk space in a 27GB hard drive. after upgrading to 10.4, and safari 3.1, i tried to stream 'Lost' on abc.com. the plug-ins installed ok, and the video pops up. however, it lags with a start/stop stream. we have a 3.0Mbps DSL connection, so the bandwidth is ok. no other machines are accessing the dsl line, and the streaming video works a-ok on my G5 tower, which obviously has much more memory and is a dual core.

since it starts to play and i have a fast connection, what else am i missing? is there another upgrade i would need to do??

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Do normal, non streaming videos work ok on it?

If not, it could be the slow hard drive or the slow CPU. I had an old PC which couldn't play videos without stuttering until I upgraded the slow IDE66 hard drive to a 100 model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.