System Preferences problems

Reaction score
I have a system preferences issue.

I am very new to mac, like, 2 week new.

it doesn't allow me to change my deskstop image, like when i click "deskstop/screensaver" system preferences freezes, then quits

im the only user, logged in as admin

M

MacHeadCase

Just two questions : did you install a third-party screensaver recently ? Have you updated to 10.5.2 or are you still at 10.5.0 or 10.5.1 ?

Try repairing disk permissions by running Disk Utility. Leopard seems to have problems with messed up disk permissions. Go to :

Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Launch the app, select your hard drive icon on the left sidebar, click on Repair Disk Permissions. Restart.

If that doesn't solve it, you might want to put in the trash the System Preferences pref file. Path is this :

Macintosh HD -> Users -> your user account -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.systempreferences.plist

Drag that file to the trash (don't empty the trash just yet) and restart. See if that fixes it.

Report back and let us know how it goes.

OP
B
Reaction score
Just two questions : did you install a third-party screensaver recently ? NO Have you updated to 10.5.2 or are you still at 10.5.0 or 10.5.1 ? 10.5

Try repairing disk permissions by running Disk Utility. Leopard seems to have problems with messed up disk permissions. Go to :

Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Launch the app, select your hard drive icon on the left sidebar, click on Repair Disk Permissions. Restart.

If that doesn't solve it, you might want to put in the trash the System Preferences pref file. Path is this :

Macintosh HD -> Users -> your user account -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.systempreferences.plist

Drag that file to the trash (don't empty the trash just yet) and restart. See if that fixes it.

Report back and let us know how it goes. (will do, i will definitely let you guys now)

thanks so much for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.