Window Size

Reaction score
Hey Mac fans
I have had my Mbp for just over a week now and loving every minute.
I have a question for you all, when I open a window, say my applications folder. I stretch the corner so I can see all the lovely icons. After closing it and later reopening it, its back to its original size. Is there anyway to get OSX to remember the stretched size. So every time I open it, its the way i left it.
Thank You

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Hmm, I don't know how I did it but my Finder window always opens up maximized. Let me see what I can find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Try this:

Open the Finder window and and adjust it to the size you want. Click "View/Show View Options". Change something in the settings (and change it back if you want) and click "Use as Defaults" on the bottom of the window. That might work. Let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
Hmm, I don't know how I did it but my Finder window always opens up maximized. Let me see what I can find.

Mine, as well, but I'm pretty confident that I didn't do anything. At least not intentionally.

Reaction score
Set it to what size you want. Then hit the green (zoom) button twice. Close, and open.

OP
P.S. Taker
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I tried both suggestions, but none worked the only way I can get it to work, is for example, to open the applications folder by cmnd double clicking through the HD icon, resizing say the documents folder. Then the only way to get the folder to open at the previous size is to use spotlight to open that folder. strange eh.

Reaction score
Did you try mine? I did it myself before posting what to do. Just to make sure

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open finder from where you want to open it. Either from the Finder icon in the Dock or by opening the MacHD on the desktop.

Change the size to what you want on that first window that opens. It is this first window that is "remembered", not the 2nd, 3rd, etc. window you've navigated to. Just close it now. You'll see that it will now re-open to the size you set.

I have mine set to 2 different sizes - one when I open finder by using the dock icon and another when I open it using the disk icon on the desktop. Also, have one set to icon view and the other to list view.

You'll also notice that they each open in a different place. The MacHD icon opens to your MacHD directory, while the Finder icon opens to your user directory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
OS X will eventually remember the changed window size and start using that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Set it to what size you want. Then hit the green (zoom) button twice. Close, and open.

This only works from the opening window. It doesn't work from any place you have navigated to after the opening window.

And it will remember the opening window size you set, without having to hit the green button twice.

edit: and there are two other options in Finder preferences on the General tab: You can set it to open to the location you want instead of the default, and you can also have it open folders in a new window (this is pitr for me) instead of navigating around in the same window.

If you use this method of opening folders in new windows - choosing items from the sidebar, still open in the same window; while each folder you select on the right of the sidebar will open in a new window. If you now change the size of this new window, that folder will remember it's individual size setting the next time you open it..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.