Windows 98 via Fusion - no sound!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Any ideas? It doesn't have a driver for the audio and I have no idea where to find one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Well, as I understand it Boot Camp doesn't support Windows 98, so I don't think you'll get any help there from Apple. Supposedly Parallels has support for Windows 98 ( http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6146680 ), although I like Fusion more. Did you install the VMWare tools in the Windows 98 VM?

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fusion claims to be fine with it, and it pretty much runs fine. I installed the tools, which sorted out some other driver issues, but not the sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I would check with Fusion's support then, or check if they have forums. I take it you want Windows 98 for some specific reason as opposed to XP? :)

Something you can also always try is to manually select an audio driver and see if you can get something compatible enough to work. Not sure how well that will work, but it's something to try if you don't want to talk to VMWare.

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I prefer 98 :) And since the last time I used a PC I was running 98, all my PC software is also for 98 - and I miss my old games!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I can't guarantee that they'd work in XP, but I'd imagine they might/should/maybe would work. Regardless, let us know how it turns out.

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, but then I'd have to BUY XP as well! I shall let you know shortly...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.