Mail stationary

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get the custom stationary part of Mail working? I did everything it said to do, but it simply will not work properly for me. When i put in a graphic and some text, then save as custom, it comes back with the text alright, but just an icon where the graphic should be, and they are all in the same box, so when you click to change text the icon goes too.

Is there a way to put the graphic separate from the text, and is there a way to have more than one text box... or does the darn thing only work with 1 text box and not like it says it should.

OP
James
Reaction score
Well, seeing as how i can not get the stationary to work properly and no one else seems to have any idea about it, i can only conclude that it is a function Apple threw in that doesn't really work, and may at some future date be fixed. Even going on their website under support it doesn't work. Of course the fact that you do what they tell you and what they tell you is go to FILE and click on GET INFO, but when you go to FILE, there IS NO get info... kind of leads me to believe that even Apple don't know... or don't care... guess if a person whats that particular function they will just have to go back to winderz and use Incredimail... at least that works !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
I can't get it to work either. I don't usually create my own anyway because I purchased the Stationary pack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
Since there is stationary packs, I'd say there is a good chance it does work. As that's how they probably made them. Unfortunately I don't have my new mac yet so I can't take a look. I don't know if anyone else is going to help you, but if not hang in there and I'll get back to you in a few days.

OP
James
Reaction score
Since there is stationary packs, I'd say there is a good chance it does work. As that's how they probably made them. Unfortunately I don't have my new mac yet so I can't take a look. I don't know if anyone else is going to help you, but if not hang in there and I'll get back to you in a few days.

Yes, there are some built in stationary that does work and there is a pack you can buy for $30 bucks that i guess does also work, but it will not allow you to make one of your own using graphics, and it is supposed to. Best i can figure right now is that at one time it did, but maybe update 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 broke it, if so maybe they will fix it in the future. In the meantime Mail itself seems to be giving me some problems by crashing when i go to actually send out the mail. I have already sent 4 or 5 crash reports to Apple. May end up going back to Thunderbird which has worked about 4 years just fine.

Reaction score
I can't even find where you can make custom stationary in Mail to test it out on my machine. Where is it at?

OP
James
Reaction score
I can't even find where you can make custom stationary in Mail to test it out on my machine. Where is it at?

First off you have to be running Leopard and using the latest Mail. Then click on the new message. When the new message screen comes up look at the top right and there will be a "show stationary" button.

Reaction score
I do have the latest Mail (3.2) and Leopard and that's where I was looking, but I don't see any option to make you're own custom Stationary.

OP
James
Reaction score
I do have the latest Mail (3.2) and Leopard and that's where I was looking, but I don't see any option to make you're own custom Stationary.

Do you see the "show stationary" in the upper right corner?

Anyway to make your own custom you just set up the way you want it and then under the FILE menu choose the "Save as stationary" and it will save it to the stationary menu as custom. Works with text ok, but can't seem to save graphics.

Reaction score

I tried to make my own stationary too and you're right the pictures aren't showing up. I went to investigate and it turns out that Mail is linking to the image by "applewebdata://long-number/imagename.jpg" instead of just "imagename.jpg"

I don't see any settings in Mail preferences but if you want a work around, find your custom stationary file. It's in your home folder/Library/Application Support/Mail/Stationery/Apple/Contents/Resources/Custom/Contents/Resources. (I know that's ridiculously long)

Right click on the .mailstationery file and select "show package contents". In the Contents/Resources folder is a content.html. Open that in TextEdit (or similar) and find where it links to the images and delete all the applewebdata and just leave the name of the image itself. All of your images that you used should also already be in the resources folder along with the content.html file. Save the changes and your images should now show up correctly.

I hope that made sense. Kind of annoying to have to do, but I couldn't think of another way to fix it. Does anyone know what an applewebdata url even means? I tried googling it, but didn't get any answers.

OP
James
Reaction score
Bingo!!! That fixed the no graphic problem. Your right, it's a pain, but it does work. Textedit wouldn't do it though, but NeoOffice did. It still doesn't allow you to set up text boxes separate, i suppose that would take some more programing, but at least now i can have a letter head graphic and then do the text work under it.

I haven't tried altering one of the existing stationary yet, but at least now i can get a custom one with graphic. Thank you for the point in the right direction. I sure think that Apple has really dropped the ball on this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.