Need advice on internet hook up!

S

sdw121602

I have a New G-5, great scanner, dual monitor set up (CRT's), Run-of-the-mill epson printer, 120 Gig back up external hard drive, good speakers, and a new IPOD. OK, here is the problem....I run a broadband speed internet (zoomtown, Cincinnati Bell) and pay out the nose for this, What are my other options? and What are those wireless routers I see sold all the time????
I am confused! I eventually want bluetooth based networking (printer scanner and an additional ibook for my wife soon) but with all these great puzzle pieces and with wireless as my main goal, I really need advice on my best complete hook up possibilities, any guru's out there willing to help a MAC loyal graphic desiner???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
sdw121602 said:
I have a New G-5, great scanner, dual monitor set up (CRT's), Run-of-the-mill epson printer, 120 Gig back up external hard drive, good speakers, and a new IPOD. OK, here is the problem....I run a broadband speed internet (zoomtown, Cincinnati Bell) and pay out the nose for this, What are my other options? and What are those wireless routers I see sold all the time????
I am confused! I eventually want bluetooth based networking (printer scanner and an additional ibook for my wife soon) but with all these great puzzle pieces and with wireless as my main goal, I really need advice on my best complete hook up possibilities, any guru's out there willing to help a MAC loyal graphic desiner???

Wireless ethernet allows you to get away from having to use CAT5 cable.
Advantage of this is that you don't have to fish CAT5 thru your wall, punch holes, install jack boxes, etc...

Wireless is just about as fast as cabled, theoretical 54mBps vs 100 mBps, you don't see a difference for the standard home user.

Airport Extreme base stations are 54 mBps. Bluetooth is not economical for a computer network. You would use a wireless base station for sharing your broadband cable modem/dsl with other computers in your household. Enable WEP encryption to keep your neighbors and any passerby wardriver from getting on your broadband internet.

I install networks, and where cabled CAT5 ethernet is either not possible or desired, wireless is the way to go. Especially with the Airport's WDS feature, you can link them all together for excellent range. Plug in Airport Express's as well to do the same job for a cheaper price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, just buy a wireless router, any brand will do really, as long as it is 802.11g compatible (54mb/s) then you're set:

Simply plug it into your broadband connection using a ethernet cable and then you can surf with any computer in range that has an airport card (i.e. your G5 and ibook later)

For the printer and scanner you can buy a bluetooth adapter to plug into your G5's usb port and access the scanner & printer (which also need adapters or built-in bluetooth capability) using that. The iBook can be ordered with a built-in bluetooth option.

Right, you should be set then! Theoretically you could surf using bluetooth, but it is quite slow and you wouldn't get speed benefit of your broadband connection. (ca. 5mb/s compared to 54mb/s)

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What do you mean by "pay out the nose"? How is going wireless going to make this cheaper for you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.