Pre-Leopard programs won't open!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Leopard)
This only started the other day. When I try to open some programs (which all seem to be ones created before Leopard was released) they 'quit unexpectedly'. I have no idea why this is, can anybody help?!

Thanks very much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What programs?
Have you added any new hardware or software recently?
What are your machine's specs?

OP
gingenosnam
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Leopard)
Well it won't open MS Word, Ableton Live, eMusic Download Manager, and a few little apps like AudioExtract

Haven't added any hardware, most recent software was eMusic Download Manager, which worked first. It then wouldn't open and neither do other programs.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
YOu havent' by chance run Monolingual to get rid of extra languages have you? If you have, and did not look into the architecture settings, you may have lost the ability to run PPC apps. If that is the case, the fix is to do an archive and install to get that architecture bacek.

If you have not done this, I hope somebody else can help you.

M

MacHeadCase

Repair disk permissions by running Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. See if that helps.

And check to see if you have installed on your Mac the latest versions available for those apps.

OP
gingenosnam
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Leopard)
Thank you so much! It's all working after i did that disk utility stuff, I would've had no idea how to do that!

Thanks very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thank you so much! It's all working after i did that disk utility stuff, I would've had no idea how to do that!

Thanks very much!

Wow, the urban myth (that Repair Permissions will fix almost anything) is substantiated now and then!

I am glad to hear that all is well, and even more glad to see an instance where this oft given advice actually produced a useful result. Good call MHC!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.