ipod as a hard-drive

Reaction score
Alright, I understand that you can't take music from the ipod and transfer it to a computer. But, I've been told that you can use the ipod as a portable hdd. I've just bought a 3rd G 20 gigger (should be shipped to my place in a few days) and wanted to know if this was possible. Can I store, say word documents, or a keynote presentation on the ipod, and then upload it to a computer? How about photos? Oh, one more, if the ipod has mac software, will it be able to upload files to a windows machine?

m.

M

m1k

Yes, you can store any kind of file on your iPod, and then upload it to a comp. Just click 'Enable Disk Use' on the iPod options.

If you have a Mac, your iPod can be used by both Macs and PCs. However, if you have a PC, your iPod can ONLY be used by PCs.

Hope this helps,
m1k

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
m1k said:
Yes, you can store any kind of file on your iPod, and then upload it to a comp. Just click 'Enable Disk Use' on the iPod options.

If you have a Mac, your iPod can be used by both Macs and PCs. However, if you have a PC, your iPod can ONLY be used by PCs.

Hope this helps,
m1k

Nope, it's just the other way around...
An iPod initialized on the Mac can only be used by a Mac, as the PC can't read the Macs filesystem (HFS+).
If the iPod is initialized on the PC it's formatted in FAT32, which both, Mac and PC can read and write.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yep, since Macs can read most PC files, and PC's just can't do jack with Mac files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
maikutis said:
Alright, I understand that you can't take music from the ipod and transfer it to a computer. But, I've been told that you can use the ipod as a portable hdd. I've just bought a 3rd G 20 gigger (should be shipped to my place in a few days) and wanted to know if this was possible. Can I store, say word documents, or a keynote presentation on the ipod, and then upload it to a computer? How about photos? Oh, one more, if the ipod has mac software, will it be able to upload files to a windows machine?

m.

You can transfer music out of itunes from the ipod to your mac, there are dozens of freeware and shareware apps to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.