Selling MacBook - Should I still get AppleCare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
My friend has offered to buy my MacBook for half the cost of a MacBook Pro, so obviously, I'm taking him up on the offer.

Now, my factory warranty runs out in July, and I plan to have the MacBook sold by end of June. I figure, since I get the AppleCare for $200 (student discount), should I just hold on to the $200 I have saved?

If the deal goes through smoothly, that's $200 more toward the purchase of the Pro, and if the deal falls through, I can still get the AppleCare.

I originally planned to get AppleCare at the end of the month, so, should I just hold on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
Ask your friend if he's really serious and if he is, ask him if he wants the extended warranty.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ask your friend if he's really serious and if he is, ask him if he wants the extended warranty.

I just asked him, and he says he's serious, but he wants to wait and see on the extended warranty. So, that's a sign to hold onto the money.

wsw

Reaction score
He doesn't need the student discount to buy Applecare for <$200. There are many resellers at about $190

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Personally speaking... having never spent a dime on AppleCare, and only twice in my life having ever bought an extended warranty of any kind (besides that for a car), I'm much happier (and richer) for having not forked over the money. For all the gadgets, appliances, hardware, and so on that I've been offered the "opportunity" to buy an extended warranty, I've not once had a situation where I would have needed it. And if there ever does come a time when I "could" have used it, I can rest easy knowing that whatever that repair bill comes to will be a fraction of the dollars saved by not blowing my money on extended warranties on everything I buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
If you have home or renters insurance then your computer is probably covered under your insurance plan. Ask your friend if he has these coverages, if he does then he can just put the macbook onto his coverage when he buys it.

I don't have applecare for either my wifes or my macbook because my renters insurance covers it completely with no deductible.

Check your insurance plan if you have one.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked on my end, and our insurance only covers theft and disasters. If there's something mechanically wrong with it, I'm S.O.L.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.