Using Hebrew fonts on Word

Reaction score
Alright, so I've downloaded a special Hebrew font, and I've opened up a file that was sent to me in Hebrew. However, it doesn't automatically open in the font I downloaded (which is also the font it was saved in), but rather in some default English font.

So I highlight everything and convert it to the proper font, ant it does change... only backwards. You know how Hebrew is read from the right to the left? Well, apparently my computer is not recognizing that, and so the entire file is backwards. It would be like reading this sentence like this:

:siht ekil ecnetnes siht gnidaer ekil eb dluow tI

And I have no idea how to fix this. Even after I turn on the International icon to the Hebrew one, it still does not show up right. Anyone know why my Mac is not recognizing the proper way to read Hebrew?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Mac Word does not support right-to-left languages. It probably never will. Microsoft has released version after version without left-to-right support, and nothing has changed with 2008.

You may be able to open the document in another application, perhaps TextEdit or Pages or NeoOffice.

OP
K
Reaction score
I just tried it on TextEdit, and it does appear to work. Thanks you very much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.