Used PowerBook

Reaction score
I am buying a used Powerbook that has some software installed by the previous owner. I won't have the original software installation disks and am worried about losing these applications if I restore the computer to its original format. How can I save the programs so I can reinstall them without disks?

Is there a way to just clean up the computer so I won't have to worry about reinstalling the applications? :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
No. If you want the programs, then you need the discs.
If you wipe the drive, they're gone. Plain and simple.

My advice is always the same:

NEVER buy a computer unless the included software comes with ALL the install discs. Period.

OP
me1303
Reaction score
No. If you want the programs, then you need the discs.
If you wipe the drive, they're gone. Plain and simple.

My advice is always the same:

NEVER buy a computer unless the included software comes with ALL the install discs. Period.

No biggie... The only thing of importance is Office 8 for mac and I have that covered. :Smirk:

Hey devilboy, give me a break, I just started here ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have: 1 Powerbook G4 Ti 667mhz, 512mb,OS X 10.2.8 and TWO Powerbook G4's 1.33ghz, 512mb, OS X 10.3
There IS a way. If you do the following, then the computer will be reset, a new user will be added, and applications kept. However, it does not apply to any documents, music, etc,etc that is NOT in your applications folder. If it is, then your safe.

Press the power button and hold down Command + S until you see a black screen with a command prompt.

Then enter the following:

/sbin/fsck -y [Enter]
/sbin/mount -uw / [Enter]
rm /var/db/.applesetupdone [Enter]
reboot [Enter]

The computer will then act like its the first time you've started it up or installed the OS. It goes through the process of the Boot/ Intro Video, then asking you basic questions. Once you're done, all of your applications will be there MINUS anything that was not in a public area. Those things will be lost forever... After you are done, delete the extra user account. All extra crap except for applications will be gone.

Please note that I only tried this on my PowerBook G4 with OS X 10.3.9 and IS NOT guaranteed to work. Beware of your risk.

M

MacHeadCase

No biggie... The only thing of importance is Office 8 for mac and I have that covered. :Smirk:

Hey devilboy, give me a break, I just started here ;)

You've been here since January 2 2008, I wouldn't call that just started here. That's plenty of time to see how highly we think of people selling their Macs without the install disks. ;)

They usually will get a premium for the installed software but if you have to reformat or wipe the hard drive for whatever reason, you have to buy the software again because you can't reinstall it.

OP
me1303
Reaction score
You've been here since January 2 2008, I wouldn't call that just started here. That's plenty of time to see how highly we think of people selling their Macs without the install disks. ;)

They usually will get a premium for the installed software but if you have to reformat or wipe the hard drive for whatever reason, you have to buy the software again because you can't reinstall it.

I'm planning on buying my own software. I will still be money ahead ;D

OP
me1303
Reaction score
Apple very graciously sent me the restore disks for this computer and I have a fresh install of the OS. Now I will load the software that I want use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.