Quicktime Problems

Reaction score
Let's start of by saying, I'm a PC girl... so I'll need to be handheld through some of this.

First, some specs. I'm working from an iMac running OS X 10.2.8 Already, you can see it's a bit behind, but there is no need to upgrade for anything that's been running on it.

Recently I downloaded a video in .mp4, but due to the old OS it wasn't playing. Trying to be creative, I checked around for codecs. <---First sign I'm not used to Macs, right?

Anyway, after trying to install a few things and have nothing work, I gave up.

However, now Quicktime isn't running. I tried to uninstall, but couldn't find a way... So, in my brilliance, I just deleted the folders.

However, the OS still recognizes Quicktime as being installed, so I can't reinstall it. I can't upgrade either, as there are no higher versions supported for the OS past what I have/had.

Someone please help?

If this belongs in Programs, I'm sorry.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can look in your systems folder for the following: Library -> Receipts -> QuickTime740_Tiger.pkg. QuickTime740_Tiger.pkg is the version on my system. If you delete this file I believe that you will be able to load quicktime again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.