Incompatible security

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 1GB RAM 80 GB Combo Drive
I just got my refurbished MacBook. I started messing around with it before I installed Leopard. I was able to use our wireless internet and then once I upgraded whenever I enter my password I get a message that says "Incompatible security". We have a Windows laptop that uses the router just fine. What's the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
There are a lot of different security models that your wireless network could be using for encryption. You should check your router/access point and see what the settings are. You may just need to select a specific type when you setup your network on the Macbook, or you may need to select a different method on the router.

OP
Amanda
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It just worked though and then when I updated it, it didn't.

Reaction score
I bet the upgrade hosed the settings to correctly access the wireless point. Try deleting that Location and make a new one: System Preferences, Network.

OP
Amanda
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where do I find the network once I get there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
You should have a small menulet in the menu bar for your wireless settings, or in System Preferences. If you can't see your network, you can always manually enter the name and security key.

If you are referring to where it is in the router menu, that changes depending on the maker and model of the router. Normally there's web interface you need to login to.

OP
Amanda
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I can see the network but there aren't any options to delete it and create a new one. I'm guessing because it was found automatically by AirPort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Well if you can see it, you should be able to select it as the network you want to connect to. Or is it not allowing you to?

Reaction score
Okay, I can see the network but there aren't any options to delete it and create a new one. I'm guessing because it was found automatically by AirPort.
I think we are talking about two different things.
Thyamine correctly gets you to the pull down menu of wireless networks your Mac can see. One of them should be yours unless your router has the SSID hidden. However, you may have to go to the Network System Preferences to delete that Location, make a new one, reconnect via the pull down menu. All will right with the world.
O:)

OP
Amanda
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I deleted it and created it over again and it still hasn't changed the error message I have received.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Ok, found a similar thread with perhaps more clear instructions of what Sherman and I have been talking with you about:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5899178

About half-way down the page is this:

Therefore try to go to the advanced settings for AirPort again and click the network name and then that tiny pen icon next to + (add) and - (remove) icons which should take you to specifics of the authentication and try to change it from either WEP to WPA Personal, WPA2 Personal etc. it's most likely a wrong setting in the authentication protocol that causes problems. Better yet, ask your admin to advise you on the security settings of work's wireless.

Try changing the authentication protocol to something other than what is already in there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.