OEM Disc

Reaction score
So as I am needing a new hard drive because of my existing one's failure, I'm thinking, is it possible to get leopard disc that come from the box like oem disc, that way I can just have leopard as the main os rather than putting my previous os on there and then upgrading? I'm feeling like this is possible but don't know where I could buy leopard oem disc from a box or what not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
whats the difference between the oem and retail? did u have iWork or another apple app pre-installed.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Any retail Leopard disk will do. Here is an exerp from Apple's website relating to purchasing Leopard. Notice they don't sell "upgrade" versions, just the single license or family pack. So if you have a retail Leopard disk, you can bypass installing the old OS and just install Leopard.
Choose a single-user license for home or office. Or if you have more than one Mac at home, choose the five-user Family Pack.
As far as the OEM thing, Apple's OEM disks are computer-specific. I can't take my MacBook disk and use it to reinstall Leopard on my wife's iMac. I have to use a disk that was created for the iMac. So if you have the disk(s) that came with your Mac, you're good to go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
As far as the OEM thing, Apple's OEM disks are computer-specific. I can't take my MacBook disk and use it to reinstall Leopard on my wife's iMac. I have to use a disk that was created for the iMac. So if you have the disk(s) that came with your Mac, you're good to go!

Are you sure? i think you can, it is all apple branded hardware, and well i don know... but i think you could... :p

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah I read that somewhere too where they are specific for each computer. I just didn't know if Leopard disc sold at stores would be the same as the ones that come out of a new computer box because when I get my new hard drive I just wanted to go straight to Leopard without installing the previous one and then upgrading.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can purchase and install the retail Leopard and after it's installed, pop in your DVD that came with your Mac and install the iLife suite and other things you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Are you sure? i think you can, it is all apple branded hardware, and well i don know... but i think you could... :p

No you can't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
My refurbished macbook I bought came with the restore disk and then an upgrade disk with leopard on it. The disk actually says upgrade on it so they are out there. Now if you can obtain one legally without buying a computer I do not know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My refurbished macbook I bought came with the restore disk and then an upgrade disk with leopard on it. The disk actually says upgrade on it so they are out there. Now if you can obtain one legally without buying a computer I do not know.
I haven't heard of these "upgrade" disks before, however, I'd be willing to bet they are the same as the retail disks only with a different label. Someone else will have to clarify this one.

M

MacHeadCase

Having never bought a Mac that came with an upgrade disk but having read here and there in the forum...

An upgrade disk when you use it only gives you the option of Upgrade instead of the normal three install options you normally get with a full install disk. The three options are : Upgrade, Archive and Install and Erase and Install.

From what I've seen in M-F, the Upgrade option to install Leopard seems to be the least reliable of all three.

No you can't.

Right you are, Eric559. With a restore disk, you can only use it on the Mac model it came with.

OP
J
Reaction score
So using a Leopard "upgrade" disc or one bought from the store wouldn't work as to putting an OS on completely erased hard drive? I'm thinking I need the restore cd or what not that comes with the computer, but like I said I didn't know of the other retail disc would do the same thing and just put the OS on there entirely. Confusing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So using a Leopard "upgrade" disc or one bought from the store wouldn't work as to putting an OS on completely erased hard drive? I'm thinking I need the restore cd or what not that comes with the computer, but like I said I didn't know of the other retail disc would do the same thing and just put the OS on there entirely. Confusing?
In order to use the upgrade disk, you would first have to install the OS from the disk that came with the computer. But the store-bought retail disk would not need anything pre-installed.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was wondering if it needed anything preinstalled or could it just install itself on there with an empty drive. Ok thanks for all the 411.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.