Moto v710 as modem?

C

code777

Does anyone out there use their cell / v710 as a modem with their iBook when mobile? I bought a Belkin USB BT adapter and would like to link the iBook and v710 together and use the v710 as a dailup modem when I'm mobile.

My friend uses his v710 as a modem for his PPC and he said it should be easy but he's unsure how to configure the iBook to the v710 so that the v710 dails the #777 or whatever it is (not sure what it is).... help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well, can you 'discover' your phone using your bluetooth dongle?
In the utilities you should have a 'bluetooth setup assistant'

if you can get the 2 to pair, it should be simple.
I think you then just go to internet connect (in system prefs) and there select the bluetooth tab. Fill in your settings and see how you go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
code777 said:
Does anyone out there use their cell / v710 as a modem with their iBook when mobile? I bought a Belkin USB BT adapter and would like to link the iBook and v710 together and use the v710 as a dailup modem when I'm mobile.

My friend uses his v710 as a modem for his PPC and he said it should be easy but he's unsure how to configure the iBook to the v710 so that the v710 dails the #777 or whatever it is (not sure what it is).... help?
I have the v710 it links perfectly with my powerbook...

Ok... first you want to make a "bond between your compouter and your phone... Ststem prefrences/bluetooth.... Then you will open up Network prefrences.... Select the bluetooth option... Select the ppp tab...

Acount name- [email protected]

Password- vzw

Telephone number- #777 (yes, include the "#" sign)

Now select the "bluetooth modem" tab...

Modem: 3com impact Analog 14.4

Make sure to uncheck the "wait for dial tone before dialing" option.

Now click the "apply now" butten and go back to the ppp options and select the dial now butten.. It will open up internet connect and from there just select the connect butten.

I love the v710!!! :biohazard :biohazard

OP
C

code777

firsteggprez said:
I have the v710 it links perfectly with my powerbook...

Ok... first you want to make a "bond between your compouter and your phone... Ststem prefrences/bluetooth.... Then you will open up Network prefrences.... Select the bluetooth option... Select the ppp tab...

Acount name- [email protected]

Password- vzw

Telephone number- #777 (yes, include the "#" sign)

Now select the "bluetooth modem" tab...

Modem: 3com impact Analog 14.4

Make sure to uncheck the "wait for dial tone before dialing" option.

Now click the "apply now" butten and go back to the ppp options and select the dial now butten.. It will open up internet connect and from there just select the connect butten.

I love the v710!!! :biohazard :biohazard

ah, this is exactly what i was looking for, thanks.

now do you use the 1xRTT or just the basic hook up which is dailup speed. I know they have a data network but no way am i paying for it, its a rip off to me. but i see a lot of people are using the v710 with their PPC's and they seem to have really good luck with it. Ok, tomorrow I will try to hook it up.

If I frequently use airport do i need to toggle between airport and the bluetooth? sorry if i sould like an idiot - i'm kinda a newbe with the bluetooth stuff... thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.