Read only data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook Pro & iPhone GS3
Replaced my PC with an iMac 2.4. Migrated all my stuff from a MBP. Everything seems to be OK. Plugged into the iMac my external HDDs (NTFS format) and they appeared on the desktop.
When I try to open up a .doc or a .xls file using NeoOffice, the files open but only read only. I can only edit a copy of the file(s).

I want to do the following:
move all my data from one NTFS HDD to another, then format a Lacie in mac journaled format for backup and time machine purposes. I am not allowed to do so. Cannot figure out why not and how to overcome this problem.

I also want to be able place all my NTFS data into a mac journaled drive to be able to be edited using NeoOffice in the future - ie a clean and total break from MS.

I am also using Fusion at the moment and can still edit my NTFS data using MS Office in that environment but I want to get away from Windows ASAP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
simple, really nothing other than windows OSs can write to NTFS natively. Copy them to an HFS+ filesystem, or get some software that allows you to write to NTFS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
You can look at something like http://www.ntfs-3g.org/ for writing to NTFS. I've used it on Linux systems I set up (although not too extensively). If you want to move to away from NTFS/Windows completely though, I wouldn't even bother. Just move all the files, reformat the drive, and put the files back.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.

I did move my stuff from one NTFS drive to another NTFS drive before reformatting it. Then went through a long cut experimenting via a Fusion folder to be picked up by OS X Finder. It worked. I was experimenting a couple of files though (having just switched).

I just tried what Thyamine suggested and it was OK. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Alternatively if you want to access NTFS drives just for movement of data then use trial version of paragon ntfs.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Paragon NTFS - downloaded the trial version. Exactly what I was looking for. I can just leave my NTFS data as it is and work on any file as and when required.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Glad to hear you got it all worked out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.