Apple TV 40gb vs. 120GB

Reaction score
why buy the 120 gig machine when you can stream?
they should sell one with no gig.
just asking , looking to buy one soon.:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well, for starters, it's 160GB, not 120GB.

There are two reasons why the AppleTV has a hard drive. One, so that you can always have certain songs and videos on it. Streaming can sometimes result in hiccups if there is interference, syncing solves that issue. Second, you need the hard drive for when you download things off of the iTunes Store, such as movie rentals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The drive in the AppleTV IS internal, so not sure where you're getting that. And you can't connect an external drive to the AppleTV, so that's not an option.

Unless you're talking about internal and external drives connected to the computer, in which case you can most certainly do both, but we were talking about the AppleTV, not Macs or PCs.

OP
B
Reaction score
yes, i mean send the rented movie to a drive connected to the computer and then stream it to the appletv. does a rented movie have a timed delete tagged onto it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have to watch it within 30 days, but you have 24 hours to finish it once you start watching.

I'm sure you can stream a rented video to the AppleTV (you can stream essentially anything that's in your iTunes Library), but it seems kind of silly to do so when you can rent directly from the AppleTV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure exactly, I personally haven't rented a video from the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you can't burn the rented videos, and doing so would be useless as they would still have a time stamp built into them, and as such, the disc would be useless after 30 days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.16ghz 2gb ram 250gb HD
i cant see the point of the larger HD version. i dont even have copying files to my apple tv turned on. streaming works flawlessly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some people may not have as good of a connection as you might, so syncing saves them from a lot of headache if the movie/TV show stops in the middle of streaming.

It's also really useful for those who don't keep their computers on all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.16ghz 2gb ram 250gb HD
Some people may not have as good of a connection as you might, so syncing saves them from a lot of headache if the movie/TV show stops in the middle of streaming.

It's also really useful for those who don't keep their computers on all the time.

True True. i just mean i cant see the justification in the 160GB version 40gb fine. Buts thats just me. some people would love a 2TB apple tv if they made it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.