Mac Pro running slow - CS3 problems - Help

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for me????

Im working on a Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
with 16 GB 800 Mhz Ram
Huge hard drive,

Now you'd think this would run CS3 the best it could wouldn't you??? Now I dunno if its Leopard or what, but all apps are suddenly closing, PS is taking ages sometimes to save things for web (like 3 minutes for a 10k file!!!) Flash closes when trying to publich something, dreamweaver, well dreamweaver is dreamweaver and does what it likes!!! Its getting very annoying as ud expect, didnt pay £4500 for this machine to run like this, I dont even notice a change in running speeds!! I also have an iMac (2.8 Ghz intel core duo 2 with 4gb RAM) now this also ran aweful, when going from phtoshop to Flash it would take like 10 seconds for flash to let me do anything, now on the mac pro it take 4 seconds... an improvement but still shocking!!! this mac pro should be one of the fastest most powerful machines on the market!!!!!!!!

SO why am i having sooooooo much trouble with CS3 and other apps like office, takes forever to load up!!!! am i doing something wrong????? Need serious help!

M

MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to appropriate forum - Question has nothing to do with OS 9 or the Classic environment*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Take it to the Apple store and show them the problem.

What kind of RAM is it? Maybe a module is bad? Is the software DL'd or store bought? If it's not legal, maybe it's bad....
I've never had an issue with CS3 on my Mac Pro with much lower specs (single quad 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 750 GB HD, 8800 GT)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried running just the stock 2x1GB ram it came with? Although OWC makes great stuff, sometimes their RAM is bad. A single bad DIMM will drive your system crazy. Try going back to stock and see if that fixes your issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, Photoshop and those programs maybe make use of two or three cores. It certainly doesn't use more than four. Those apps are most RAM and HD intensive. 16GB has to be overkill.
CS3 is not going to run much faster on the Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Give us some figures. How long does it take Photoshop to load up after a restart?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Anyone have a suggestion for me????

Im working on a Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
with 16 GB 800 Mhz Ram
I also have an iMac (2.8 Ghz intel core duo 2 with 4gb RAM) now this also ran aweful, when going from phtoshop to Flash it would take like 10 seconds for flash to let me do anything, now on the mac pro it take 4 seconds... an improvement but still shocking!
Well 4 seconds is hardly any time at all, I personally can't see the shock there. As far as the other issues:

Have you tried deleting the .plist files for your Adobe apps?
Have you tried first uninstalling then reinstalling the Adobe suite from your CD's?
Have you cleared caches?... set up scratch disks?... repaired permissions?... ran disk repair?... etc.

What exactly are you trying to do with these apps? A more detailed explanation of what you are working on will help us.
Bry is on the right track with the RAM issue. When apps suddenly and unexpectedly quit, many times it is due to a bad RAM module. Try taking a couple modules out and see how things run after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a good point DB. I guess I failed to read the entirefirst post.

Just because you paid $4000 for a computer doesn't mean every single operation will be done instantly. 4 seconds is nothing and of half the time the iMac took. That seems perfectly acceptable to me.

OP
D
Reaction score
im just pretty impatient, i work quick so need it to keep up with me.

£4500 not $4000 so id expect it not to be crashing whenever i try and do the littlest thing.
It take nearly 3 times as long to boot us the system than the imac did.
PS is random sometimes if i save for web it does it straight away other times could take upto 5 minutes!!!!

Im not sure how to do what you just listed out, what and where can i find the .plist files? im affraid im very new to macs!!!!

I have running Photoshop and Dreamweaver constant and then probably illustrator and flash on and off. Thing is I need to quickly jump back and forth from each program, thus needing the system to perform properly and quickly.

I guess i'll try removing a couple of ram slots see what that does, then re-install CS3. I have read that CS3 isnt completely compatable with Leopard!!! is this true? and could well be causing the problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It take nearly 3 times as long to boot us the system than the imac did.
Well, seeing that your one system (iMac) has 4 GB of RAM and the other (Mac Pro) has 16 GB of RAM (4 x the amount) it is no surprise.
Macs run a RAM check on startup. The more RAM you have, the longer it takes to complete... hence, the longer it takes for the machine to start up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.