Time Machine failure using Time Capsule

Reaction score
So on my first attempt at backing up my entire machine (2 x 3GHz Intel Xeon 8GB MHz with two harddrives built-in 500MB + 250MB) onto my new Time Capsule, it failed. Not sure how. Must have happened in the middle of the night. Had some cryptic message which I didn't write down in the morning (basically, attempt failed). Since then, I got it to work. It seems to have backed up both harddrives (although I wish it didn't). Now,
13 days into successful backups, I get the following message:

Disc Repair
The disc "my mac" was not repairable by this computer. It is being made available to you with limited functionality. You must back up your data and reformat the disc as soon as possible.

Followed by another pop up warning:
Time Machine Error
The backup volume is read only. To select a different volume, open System Preferences and choose Time Machine.

Sometimes two different capules show up, each with different icons.
1. 3 figures holding hands.
2. Circle arrow icon

Does anyone know what might be happening? And, is there a way I can erase the whole time capsule and start from scratch? I suspect that since I failed the first backup, things have spiraled out of control.

Please help.:Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
So on my first attempt at backing up my entire machine (2 x 3GHz Intel Xeon 8GB MHz with two harddrives built-in 500MB + 250MB) onto my new Time Capsule, it failed. Not sure how. Must have happened in the middle of the night. Had some cryptic message which I didn't write down in the morning (basically, attempt failed). Since then, I got it to work. It seems to have backed up both harddrives (although I wish it didn't). Now,
13 days into successful backups, I get the following message:

Disc Repair
The disc "my mac" was not repairable by this computer. It is being made available to you with limited functionality. You must back up your data and reformat the disc as soon as possible.

Followed by another pop up warning:
Time Machine Error
The backup volume is read only. To select a different volume, open System Preferences and choose Time Machine.

Sometimes two different capules show up, each with different icons.
1. 3 figures holding hands.
2. Circle arrow icon

Does anyone know what might be happening? And, is there a way I can erase the whole time capsule and start from scratch? I suspect that since I failed the first backup, things have spiraled out of control.

Please help.:Shouting:

I think your TC disk is full hence it sets itself as read-only. I guess you meant that you have a 500GB disk and a 250GB disk inbuilt.

When it started backing up the first time do you remember what was the size it mentioned?

Are you able to create a new folder on your TC's disk? I guess not.

1TB time capsule has 978GB apprx for use.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes I have two internal harddrives (500+250) and a 1TB time capsule. The memory says I have 1.6 TB available which isn't even possible. Hymm?

I really didn't want it backing up my 500 HD at all (just my photos), but I had no control at the beginning of the process as it initially grabs everything (bad idea. Too much junk on my machine. Wish I could control that from the start).

I find the machine is so simple it has no controls for the thing, let alone any real instructions. The troubleshooting guide leaves few details. Which is fine if its running good. Bad, if things happen.

How about this? I'd love to completely erase the time capsule. Just toss everything and restart the initial backup. Is this possible? Can you tell me how?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
Yes I have two internal harddrives (500+250) and a 1TB time capsule. The memory says I have 1.6 TB available which isn't even possible. Hymm?

I really didn't want it backing up my 500 HD at all (just my photos), but I had no control at the beginning of the process as it initially grabs everything (bad idea. Too much junk on my machine. Wish I could control that from the start).

I find the machine is so simple it has no controls for the thing, let alone any real instructions. The troubleshooting guide leaves few details. Which is fine if its running good. Bad, if things happen.

How about this? I'd love to completely erase the time capsule. Just toss everything and restart the initial backup. Is this possible? Can you tell me how?

Thanks in advance!

Open Airport Utility
Click on 'Manual Setup' on the left botton corner of the AIrport utility
On the top you will see 'Airport', 'Internet', Printers, Disks. Here go to disks and you will see your Time capsule's 1TB disk and you will see an option to ERASE. Click that and wait until you are done. This will give you a brand new TC disk.

On time machine's preferences you will see OPTION and a + and a - sign. Click on the plus sign and add all the folders you want to skip backing up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.