Newbie...Unable to edit iPhoto pictures... :(

Reaction score
I'm new to the world of Mac and I am having issues with my iphoto. When I open photos in this application, I am only able to edit and enhance photos which were taken vertically. When I attempt to edit photos which were taken horizontally, the window loads a gray box with an "!" in the center. What does that mean and why can't I edit my photos?? I am so confused... Any ideas would be welcome!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
That usually means the picture file has moved from where the thumbnail thinks it is located. So the thumbnail points to the wrong place. You will need to find the file or reimport. Try right clicking and select show in finder or show file on the pictures that are not affected is a good place to start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Have you rotated or done anything to/with the photo in the library in finder? That would create the question mark issue. Never touch any photo in the library in finder.

If you have done this, then I think you will need to reimport the original into iPhoto and delete the one(s) you have modified.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.