ibook not accepting passwords to join network

Reaction score
Have recently reinstalled system 10 on my ibook as I had to replace its hard drive, thus do a fresh install. Now, when I choose airport as my mode of connecting to the internet, my ibook acknowledges the name of the network of my other ibook, but it demands a password. When I enter password(s) (I entered a few: the network security password and the base station set-up password , respectively, both nicely functioning on the other ibook) it rejects each with a "there was an error joing the network". It also notes that the base station ID is "not available"; same for "status". In desperation, I reset the network password on my other network-connecting-just-fine ibook, and then tried that as a password on the non-communicative ibook, but no dice: "wrong password" still came up.

When I use airport utility/setup assistant, and try to join the network that way, it still says I am entering the wrong password. At my wit's end.

I will admit I did not enter a password when i installed the system, as I was, quite frankly, unsure what password it wanted and I figured I could set up airport later. Maybe this is why but I can't imagine I'd have to do this at system set up. I didn't have to when I got the airport card put in initially!

Where's that magic wand when you need it?

Thanks for any suggestions. These are great folks here at this forum!

Fireape

Reaction score
Hello fireape re password acceptance on ibook os 10.3

I am having exactly the same problem. I am trying to help my sister in law in accessing the internet on my home wi fi network and have encounted the same problem.

Did you every get resolution to the problem.

the airport card in the old clamshell mac works fine when I connect at Starbucks or MacDonalds or any network that does not require a password.

Thanks in advance if you are still out there.

Gaylen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.