replacement player for winamp

M

monk_boy

can anyone recommend a good replacement for winamp. i don't like itunes interface. i'm looking for a player with an interface like winamp, and also its flexablity with plugins. i've considered xmms, but i can't seem to get it to work correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
monk_boy said:
can anyone recommend a good replacement for winamp. i don't like itunes interface. i'm looking for a player with an interface like winamp, and also its flexablity with plugins. i've considered xmms, but i can't seem to get it to work correctly.

what dont you like about itunes? I love it! :headphone

OP
M

m1k

Yeah, why don't you like iTunes? It's the best. Get used to it over winamp, and you'll never look back. Trust us.

iTunes is the only good player for Mac OS X, so get used to it. It rocks.

Good luck.

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

I do have to agree about Winamp over iTunes. For one thing, Winamp does not rearrange the locations of your files into a convoluted set of directories. I am used to playing with folders for where my media is kept and having to dig for pictures (in iPhoto's case) or music is a pain. If there is an option in there that will save the music (or photos) to one folder and one folder only, then let me know what it is.

I also like being able to Skin Winamp; a feature that iTunes doesn't come with.

If you want a player and that's it, and you move your music around using iTunes alone, then that program does it's job.

But I want more and iTunes doesn't offer it. I've searched and found a Winamp for Mac, but not OSX. I'll have to check and see if it can be skinned, in which case I would use it and delete iTunes.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/5651

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I a bit confused here, since I don't you winamp so I don't know it structure. You stated that you want of your music data in one directory/folder. iTunes does that also, except for one thing. In that directory/folder is a directory/folder for each of the album you have. That seems like the best way to organize your music to me. Dumping all of your music in one directory/folder is dis-organized to me. But everyone is difference. You like to change the interface (skin), others don't. Thats okay. Since I don't use iTunes that might either, I can tell you much about the set up. I Like my big stereo system for my music.

Look at the iTunes preferences, you may be able to set it up the way you want, except the interface changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
monk_boy said:

Go to MacUpdate or VersionTracker and search for "MP3 Player" and you'll find many choices, so one of them will most likely fit your needs.

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

rman said:
Look at the iTunes preferences, you may be able to set it up the way you want, except the interface changes.

Yup, I stand corrected. I turned off all of itunes settings for folders, then went in and arranged the files as I wanted them.

OP
B

bienenmann

Audion's iPod support looks interesting. When you watch the demonstration on their website it seems like you can easily copy tracks to AND FROM your ipod. All from one application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
VastDeathmaster said:
I do have to agree about Winamp over iTunes. For one thing, Winamp does not rearrange the locations of your files into a convoluted set of directories. I am used to playing with folders for where my media is kept and having to dig for pictures (in iPhoto's case) or music is a pain. If there is an option in there that will save the music (or photos) to one folder and one folder only, then let me know what it is.

All you have to do is uncheck "keep my itunes music folder organized".

And anyway, iTunes is the best and that's that. It's not a matter of opinion, that's just the way it is.
I know some people don't like it at first because they don't open up the browse window. Have you done that.?
WinAmp has just always seemed so... primative to me.

OP
M

monk_boy

the main reason i don't use itunes is because my songs aren't tagged, and itunes's "ease of use" is based around properly tagged mp3s.

thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
When you download from iTunes Store or rip the songs from CD's you should have all the tags...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.