...yet another stupid question.....errr questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Westmere 5,1
....so now that I have this monster machine ( dual quad core Intel 3ghz Mac Pro ).....and I am completely unfamiliar with the whole Intel thing,

1. .....how exactly does one go about running 'old' programs under the 'Rosetta' hood?...I am assuming that it must be like classic and I have to partition a drive to do so.....my point is this.....since I have the CS2 suite, I want to buy the CS3 suite as an upgrade, but obviously, the original version has to be installed first...so how do I first install a power PC program on this Intel Machine?

2. Is it better if one wants to run Windows to do it as a separate partition on the same drive as Leopard, or to install Windows on a completely separate disc?

3. ...how insane is it to have Windows, Leopard and Rosetta all on the same disc?

....uhhhh........duh.

:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
....so now that I have this monster machine ( dual quad core Intel 3ghz Mac Pro ).....and I am completely unfamiliar with the whole Intel thing,

1. .....how exactly does one go about running 'old' programs under the 'Rosetta' hood?...I am assuming that it must be like classic and I have to partition a drive to do so.....my point is this.....since I have the CS2 suite, I want to buy the CS3 suite as an upgrade, but obviously, the original version has to be installed first...so how do I first install a power PC program on this Intel Machine?

The whole "Rosetta" thing is seamless. It's a part of OS X... not some extra installation or OS. It's for OS X apps written for PowerPC... they either run or they don't. No extra partitions needed. Just "try" to install your PowerPC software like you would have before.

2. Is it better if one wants to run Windows to do it as a separate partition on the same drive as Leopard, or to install Windows on a completely separate disc?

I think Boot Camp forces you to use the same disk, but a different partition. I may be wrong on that. In any event, I can't see any particular advantage either way. You are only booted into one or the other at any given moment... unless you decide to use Parallels or VMWare and have that use your Boot Camp partition for the virtual machine.

3. ...how insane is it to have Windows, Leopard and Rosetta all on the same disc?

*shrug*

OP
Hombre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Westmere 5,1
Ok, thanks for the reply....I installed what I needed and Rosetta works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
3. It's not that insane. I'm running Windows 98, OS X and Ubuntu on here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.