Black Hole of Fusion! Help....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
Last night I downloaded and installed Mcafee to run in XP via VMWare Fusion. After doing so, I attempted to remove the trial version of AVG. I was removing it the same way as I would a Windows based PC machine (via Control Panel). During the uninstall period my screen locked up and turned black with the dreaded M$ hour glass of death! Since then, I have tried everything I can think of with zero effect. I can still do thing s within Fusion as far as suspending it and getting back into it, but every time I do, it starts right back up into the black screen with the hour glass. I have tried to change some settings within Fusion but none of them take. I have to do a forced Quit to close it all the way, but again, if I start it back up, it jumps right back into the problem. I am really new to Mac, as well as, Fusion. Any ideas on how to fix the issue. Let me know if you have any questions as I am sure I did not provide all the needed info for your help in diagnosing the problem. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Try powering off and powering on the session? Suspending it will only halt it at the same moment in time.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
I have to admit that I am not sure how to "power off" the session. I have tried to restart, suspend, and shut down guest, but it always comes back to the black screen with the hour glass. I have also quit VMWare and nothing happens as well.

All the functional button associated with Fusion still work (Unity, full screen, settings, preferences), but trying to use them has no results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so you have some responsiveness... pass ctrl-alt-del and kill the process

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
Still nothing... I am hitting Control/Option/delete just to verify that that is the same thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll have to take a look when I get home tonight. No fusion installed on this laptop

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
Thanks, that is very much appreciated. The only thing I can think of is to delete Fusion and start from scratch, but that would not be a good deal. Anyway, thanks for your help. Maybe someone else will see this and have an idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if I did delete something, it'd just be the image file :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
I do not know how to do that, but i could look something up if you think it is the best way to go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, power it off and then back on. To power it off click on 'Help', then type in power. Down arrow to 'Power Off' and hit enter. You'll see this as you do so.

20080415-e6yqi9nybfrxiynncdww5fi271.jpg

Don't try to mouse over, it'll change to shutdown.. which will do it gracefully, which you don't want right now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
Needless to say, I did not do this! I got jumpy and clicked on the revert to Snapshot. Well, that worked and didn't work. I got me through the black screen, but I lost almost everything. There is an option in there now to Discard snapshot, but I am done with the click and see what happens mentality. I really appreciate your time and direction Mike. If you have anymore ideas let me know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.