Setting up a wireless network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 1GB RAM 80 GB Combo Drive
How do I set up a wireless network on my MacBook? The wireless router we have does not have a name on it, it was provided by Road Runner. I know wireless works in this house as we have a windows laptop that uses it. I'm just not sure how to set up a wireless connection on a mac. Does it pick it up automatically or do I manually have to set it up?

Reaction score
Should be pretty much automatic, System Preferences, Network, make sure that Airport is On. Most routers use DHCP so you do not have to enter anything, it is automagic!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How do I set up a wireless network on my MacBook? The wireless router we have does not have a name on it, it was provided by Road Runner. I know wireless works in this house as we have a windows laptop that uses it. I'm just not sure how to set up a wireless connection on a mac. Does it pick it up automatically or do I manually have to set it up?

In your menu bar, there is a wireless tool that looks like a fan:

2008-04-14_0959.png

When you click on it, it will show you a list of available networks. Simply choose your network's name from the list and enter your wireless password. If you don't know the network's name or password, you'll need to contact the person who configured the wireless network for that information.

OP
Amanda
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 1GB RAM 80 GB Combo Drive
Sounds great guys, thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.