G4 Digital Audio Sonnet upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15", G4 Digital Audio
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so apologise if these issues have been comprehensively dealt with before!
Can any one help? This might be a familiar one to some of you and I’ve trawled the forums and acted upon many of the suggestions given but to no avail!
I’ll be brief, I’ve managed to get hold of a G4 Digital Audio and have upgraded it for my son.

533mhz
1.25 ram
USB 2 6Port PCI Card
Nvidia FX5200 256Mb AGP Graphics Card
DVD rewriter
OS X G3/G4,Airport Extreme PCI Wireless Card
New CMOS Battery

No discs with it. But have installed Panther and added a second bootable drive with 9.2.2

All working great, so when opportunity came along decided to get my hands on Sonnet 1.8 encore off e-bay (Actually turned out to be a OEM product with a gold Heatsink but am assured is identical to Sonnet Encore ST G4/1.8GHz ) I grabbed it. 100% pos feedback - so think the dealers straight.

I cannot get this thing to work! Applied the apple 4.2.8 firmware and the Sonnet firmware update. (I’m told that the firmware update for OS X is all you need these days, however, when that didn’t work I sorted out the second drive with OS 9.2.2. No joy from there either.

I’ve stripped out any cards that might conflict, I’ve zapped the pram, blessed the system folders, reinstalled firmware – nothing. Any of you guru’s able to help? Just to add, once Sonnet installed machine starts with normal chime, fans and, by the sounds of it, the drive fires up but screen remains blank?

Just for the record – despite turning the air blue with this one, it’s good to be back in Mac-land. Now have a new Mac book Pro for my own use – last Mac I owned – a Quadra 610 bought in 1994!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome.

Firmware update usually read 4.2.8f1 after correct updating. Have a look at about this mac and see what is shown there as the BOOT ROM version. Also a firmware update should have come with the upgrade itself and Son net recommend, or insist, their upgrade be used.

Failing that it could well be a dead CPU. Give Sonnet Technical Support a belt and see what they come up with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.