Laptop - which one for a newbie...old or new...?

Reaction score
Afternoon all.....be nice please.....!

I’m looking to but a laptop Mac and have no idea of which model...

I would only be using for :

• the Internet ~ free wi-fi hot spots.....e-mail etc.....
• keeping my i-pod supplies with tunes.....
• editing and storing my photographs.....
• burning CD’s and DVD’s.....
• word-processing and spreadsheets’.....

I have used a friends in Hong Kong and she’s got the latest Mac Book Pro which is very very nice :D far too expensive :Grimmace: but the Matte screen is a peach and is very sexy in silver ~ the computer and the girl ;D ......

So I was looking at the older specification models. I have looked at the Powerbook G4 1.67mHz model, but not sure if this would be a good but or too old to be worth about £600 with software, or are there other models I should be looking for.....or should I just wait and go for a wee MacBook Black, which has far more disk space and faster....?

Or is disk space not an issue as back up drives can been added latter and the older Powerbook’s graphics chips are better than the MacBook's.....?

I really don’t’ know, have not brought a computer for about 20 years; and that I part built myself :D

Also, could both link direct to the internet via WiFi straight away.....or do I need any extra kit.....firewire etc.....?

Any suggestions at all would be of help.....also welcome PM’s about sales as well.....

Ta, Matthew.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
For what you need, I'd look into buying a used or refurbished macbook (available at Apple's website). I think you'll be happier overall. The Macbook Pros are nice, but unless you're a gamer like me or someone who needs the photoediting and video editing power, I'd go for the consumer level. I think you'll be very happy. The macbooks are nice. As of now, you can get a previous generation white refurb for $849 or $999. Good luck and enjoy your mac!

Trent out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.