Setting Up Time Capsule - Problems

Reaction score
I just bought a 1TB Time Capsule to go along with my 24" iMac.
I already have a home network where my Desktop Mac, Desktop PC and Laptop all connect through the net and to each other through a D-Link Wireless Router.

On the Time Capsule papers, it is recommended to connect the Time Capsule with the router.
1) Can someone explain why this should be done?

I can understand the benefit of a possibly stronger signal but is there another reason to connect the Time Capsule to the Wireless Router (via Ethernet Cable)?

Anyway, I have connected the two together and then I turned on the Time capsule for the first time.

Let's forget about Time Machine (Backup) for now.

First thing it did was ask me to do a firmware update which I did.

Then it asked me to choose one of three choices (through Airport Utility):
1) I have a wireless network and want to add Time Capsule or replace an existing device on my network.
2) I don't have a wireless network and I want to create one
3) I want to connect Time Capsule to my computer or network using Ethernet.

I chose option 1 as I figured that I'm ADDING something to my network or that I may be replacing my router in some alternate sense.

The next screen asked me 3 more questions...

1) I want to replace an existing base station or wireless router with Time Capsule.
2) I want Time Capsule to wirelessly join my current network
3) I want to connect Time Capsule to my network using Ethernet to extend my current network or create a second network.

This is a harder set of questions as in one way or another, all 3 seem to fit my setup.

I wish to connect to the Time Capsule and then the Wireless Router through all my computers. The Wirelss Router is connected to the Time Capsule through Ethernet so option 3 may seem valid.

Option 1 is valid if it is deemed that I am actually replacing my wireless router now with the Time Capsule.

I chose option 2 as that was the most simplest option.
I don't know if this is correct but this is my understanding that I'm just JOINING the Time Capsule to my current setup.

Then it asked me to select the Network Name. So I selected the Wireless Router name from the Drop Down Box. I hope this was the right thing to do.

Once I chose the wireless router, it asked me to select the WEP key but it gave me several choices:

WEP 40 bit
WEP 128 bit
WEP (Transitional Security Network)

Which one do I choose for a standard 10 digit hex key?

I chose 40 bit first time around and I chose the Transitional Security Network 2nd time around.

I entered my WEP key and then continued to update the settings.

It did it's thing and then it restarted the Time Capsule but when it came back on, it said that there was an error setting up the Time Capsule.

I have checked the cables and made sure everything is connected properly.

Can someone please help me understand the logic behind all of the choices above and also why I am unable to set it up? How can I get passed this error?

I have reset the Time Capsule several times now by pressing the reset button for 5 seconds.

Appreciate the help,

JH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Honestly, the Time Capsule has a top of the line Wireless-N router built into it. It would be so much simpler to remove the D-Link router and just use the Time Capsule by itself. My Time Capsule works great by itself with my PCs and Mac, and the D-Link router and print server that it replaced are in a cardboard box in my spare bedroom.

You would remove the old router and select, "I don't have a wireless network and want to create one." Connecting a Mac should be relatively easy. Download and install Bonjour for Windows and the PCs should also fall into place.

I've done this a couple times, but I don't remember step by step all the questions and options that will be put before you. This would be a much simpler setup and and we should be able to walk you through it.

OP
J
Reaction score
But my Wireless Router is needed to connect to the Internet as it has a built in modem.

Do I still replace my router/modem with just the Time Capsule?

JH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro -17"
I have same problem as Jetheat :Grimmace: :Grimmace: :Sleeping:
please help us

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
I'd add the time capsule to the network by wiring it to the linksys router. Now, set the Linksys to Wireless G (or B and G) only. Set the Time Capsule to Wireless N only.

Now you have the fastest possible wireless configurations.

This scenario has us answering "1" then "3".

I can't help with the WEP part, though I'd highly recommend running WPA if that is an option. I was able to dig up some info in WEP keys that lead me to believe you should select the WEP 40 option.

I also found a tidbit that indicated the Airport like the WEP key to be preceded with a "$" sign.

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
I just bought a 1TB Time Capsule to go along with my 24" iMac.
I already have a home network where my Desktop Mac, Desktop PC and Laptop all connect through the net and to each other through a D-Link Wireless Router.

On the Time Capsule papers, it is recommended to connect the Time Capsule with the router.
1) Can someone explain why this should be done?

I can understand the benefit of a possibly stronger signal but is there another reason to connect the Time Capsule to the Wireless Router (via Ethernet Cable)?

Anyway, I have connected the two together and then I turned on the Time capsule for the first time.

Let's forget about Time Machine (Backup) for now.

First thing it did was ask me to do a firmware update which I did.

Then it asked me to choose one of three choices (through Airport Utility):
1) I have a wireless network and want to add Time Capsule or replace an existing device on my network.
2) I don't have a wireless network and I want to create one
3) I want to connect Time Capsule to my computer or network using Ethernet.

Select 2. You will have two wireless networks once you are done with setting up TC but since you have you TC connected from your Wireless router, sharing files across your network should not be a problem. (How? In future when you want to connect to your home wireless, just select your TC)

I chose option 1 as I figured that I'm ADDING something to my network or that I may be replacing my router in some alternate sense.

The next screen asked me 3 more questions...

1) I want to replace an existing base station or wireless router with Time Capsule.
2) I want Time Capsule to wirelessly join my current network
3) I want to connect Time Capsule to my network using Ethernet to extend my current network or create a second network.

I guess when you select 2 in your previous step, you will get a different set of questions next.

This is a harder set of questions as in one way or another, all 3 seem to fit my setup.

I wish to connect to the Time Capsule and then the Wireless Router through all my computers. The Wirelss Router is connected to the Time Capsule through Ethernet so option 3 may seem valid.

Option 1 is valid if it is deemed that I am actually replacing my wireless router now with the Time Capsule.

I chose option 2 as that was the most simplest option.
I don't know if this is correct but this is my understanding that I'm just JOINING the Time Capsule to my current setup.

Then it asked me to select the Network Name. So I selected the Wireless Router name from the Drop Down Box. I hope this was the right thing to do.

Once I chose the wireless router, it asked me to select the WEP key but it gave me several choices:

WEP 40 bit
WEP 128 bit
WEP (Transitional Security Network)

Which one do I choose for a standard 10 digit hex key?

I chose 40 bit first time around and I chose the Transitional Security Network 2nd time around.

I entered my WEP key and then continued to update the settings.

It did it's thing and then it restarted the Time Capsule but when it came back on, it said that there was an error setting up the Time Capsule.

I have checked the cables and made sure everything is connected properly.

Can someone please help me understand the logic behind all of the choices above and also why I am unable to set it up? How can I get passed this error?

I have reset the Time Capsule several times now by pressing the reset button for 5 seconds.

Appreciate the help,

JH

Try this and let us know if it works or not. I had similar problems last week when i was setting up TC but i tried different options and finally it worked. I resetted the TC and started from the scratch just to figure how it worked.

I totally agree that setting up the TC is a PITA. Especially if you already have a router and want to keep that router.

Since you are getting your ethernet cable from your wireless router you would have to select the "bridge mode" (You will know this step when you get there)

Cheers mate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro -17"
but what if i want to use it only for time machine backup?
do i follow same process?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro -17"
can someone please provide us the steps that we shall follow to set the Time Capsule?
i mean step by step in details.
:|
Also to note that i have the Time Capsule 1TB, Mac bok Pro (17") and a Linksys router that is providing the internet connection to other 3 mac laptops , one PC (windows) and 2 iPhones.

So when i set the Time capsule, i should not interrupt their internet connection.
Unless i will make it better and faster :)

Also i want to use it as a hard disk (wireless) for backing up my mac data thru time machine.

Can some one please help me in this dilemma?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
first off. You definitely want to use the Wireless routing capabilities of the TC because is faster than the b/g wireless for sure. At the same time you want to use your linksys router so you can preserve your existing network as it is. I guess thats possible and all you have to do is select "I don't have a wireless network and I want to create one", next step will ask you to give your wireless point a name and set security and stuff.

The important part is it will throw a set of questions on the lines of

1) i wanna connect directly using ethernet cable
2)i want to connect blah blah blah
3)I want to connect with an existing dhcp device (bridge mode).

Here you would want to select the BRIDGE MODE option. I will try to take screenshots of the process and post tonite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro -17"
Thanks mojonandha, i will be waiting for your screenshots to assis us in setting the bridge mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro -17"
Still waiting for the screenshots :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
been crazy 2 days here at work. I will post the SC tonite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro -17"
Thanks for your support, will wait for the screenshots to set my TC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1)Reset your Time Capsule by pressing and holding the little button for 5 seconds behind the TC. The light will blink amber several times before it stays amber. (I am asking you reset so we can start fresh with the company config, if you think your TC is with company config skip this step)

2)Connect the Ethernet cable from your other Router into the WAN port in the Timecapsule.

3)Use an another Ethernet cable to connect one end to the Time capsule's LAN port and the other End to your MAC. You will now see the timecapsule in your finder as a shared device with company set name .

4)Open the Airport Utility from your Utlities folder, it will say 'Discovering Apple wireless devices and the screen like the one below will appear.

5) Click Continue and you will see the screen below. Enter the name and password to TC .

6)Click Continue and the next screen will be like the one below.

7)Select " I dont have a Wireless Network and i want to create one" and hit continue and the next screen will ask for the network name and the WPA key.

8)Select Bridge Mode and hit continue

9)Now your TC should automatically get a private ip and should look similar the the below image. Dont change the settings (Using DHCP)unless you want to set a static private Ip for your MAC. Hit continue

10)This screen will summarize all the settings. Hit update

11)Hit Continue

12)You can see the TC lite blinking amber and turning into Green and you will see the screen below.

13) And the next screen will say that the whole freaking process is successful.

See the next post coz the images to post here are limited to 10.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Continued

14)Press Done and you should see the screen below

15) Quit Airport utility. Plug off the ethernet cable from your MAC and in your wireless network you should the new network you just created. Connect to it and enter the password and voila you are done.

Now you can open your time machine and since this is the first time, it will ask you to setup. Follow the instructions on the screen and you will be all set to start backup.

The space in my TC is lesser than yours because I had my backups going on before i reset the TC today to get these screenshots.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hold on guys. I uploaded the images on geocites and now it says i have exceeded the freaking hourly data transfer limit. leeme find a better image host.

//imageshack now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro -17"
Million of thanks mojonandha
You solved all of my problem in setting up my TC :).
I followed all steps you explained.. and Voila
It worked :)
God Bless You ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro -17"
All the TC setting went fine.. but ...
When i tried to backup thru Time machine i got this message:
The backup disk image could not be mounted.:(
how can i solve this?
by the way, i took screenshots of this msg but couldn't know how to attach it here.
Any way, i am un able to back up thru TC :(

also just now got a new window msg it says:

Server connection interrupted : Time Capsule Disk
and inside it a small windows box that i have to press ..it is (Disconnect)

Plz help me

Note: i am connected to the internet thru the new network i created by TC (even so it became much slower than thru my Router)

Reaction score
does anyone know if you can use time capsule to back up any windows machines on the network? can it only be used as a router for windows machines or is there some way to partition the harddrive so it will work for both operating systems??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro -17"
thru many browsing work, it came to my knowledge that the error message "The backup disk image could not be mounted" is related to sparsebundle file that needs to be fixed.

The problem is i dont know what is sparsebundle file!! :(
And dont know how to find it :( nor to fix it :(

plz help meeeee

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.