Setting Up Time Capsule - Problems

Reaction score
Found this thread to be very useful as having exactly the same issue.

Having looked at the screenshots and instructions on the first page, I am left with 3 questions:

1. How do you follow this process if you do not have any ethernet cables? Is this another purchase I am now going to need to make?

2. Must they always remain connected to my current modem/router and iMac? (Mod./Rou. is currently sited upstairs, iMac downstairs so a bit of an issue)

3. Is this literally the only way of getting this stuff working? i.e. via cables.

I have a simple set up, 1 x Linksys WAG-354G modem/router upstairs delivering internet to numerous wireless units around the house. I bought the TC based on recommendation and have only jumped ship to the Mac world last month, a bit bemused as to why this is so difficult to get working really!? Any help with the above appreciated, thank you!

Reaction score
I've been going mad trying to get my time capsule set up. Your screen shots have cracked the problem. THANK YOU

Reaction score
*sigh* I knew there was a reason I joined. All set up, thanks to the screens and instructions and help from everyone. Thank you. :)

Reaction score
I recently had to erase my HD and do a complete restore from my Time Machine external drive. Luckily everything,including programs, were restored to where they were during the last backup. This mishap underscored the importance of having everything backed-up and made me truly appreciate Time Machine. As a result I am considering adding Time Capsule as a secondary Time Machine drive(in addition to the G-drive I have connected via firewire)to act as a back-up to the back-up. I was wondering if configuring TC the way it's suggested here(as a Bridge) would allow me to do that. Would I be able to do a full back-up on TC by changing the volume in Time Machine's setting to that of TC? Can I then, going forward, do back-ups to both drives by changing the volume manually? To be clear, i want two full back-up records on seperate drives at any given time. I am accustomed to doing my back-ups manually as I don't want my back-up HD running continuously or every hour or so as is suggested by Apple. My feeling is that my external HD will last longer by not being powered-on 24/7. Another reason why I like TC over simply getting a second external HD is because of the networking capability of TC. From what I've gathered, TC is capable of sending a much stronger signal vs what I have now. I get a weak signal as it is in my basement and I'm hopeful this will improve streaming to my ps3 and iPhone when I'm downstairs. Great thread here by the way and many thanks for all of the info. Cheers,Luis

Reaction score
Hi mojonandha!
I followed your step by step procedure from the other thread until the part where you say unplug the ethernet cable from your Mac. I did that but then I couldn't connect wirelessly to my TC. My Network doesn't show anything at all. Though I can connect to the internet using the Ethernet cable connected to the TC & my TC has a steady green light.

I can also connect my iPhone wirelessly to the TC.

I want to connect my Macbook wirelessly as well. Any help please...

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
I bought a Time Capsule on Saturday to use with my new MBP. I have an existing wireless network but I followed the instructions in this thread and everything worked perfectly, first time. I dont know if I will have the hardware issues that some have had, but actually setting it up and using it was a breeze. Well done mojoanandha.

Reaction score
I finally identified my problem!
My system detects interference from other wireless networks. That's the reason why I can't connect.

Now everything's working fine after I reset my TC & setup manually and changed the channel.

Reaction score
mojonandha thankyou so much for posting those screen captures. I had exactly the same problem as the OP and your solution worked first time.

I don't understand why, when you have a wireless network already set up you have to click "I want to set up a wireless network" and then it asks you which network you want to join but heyho, it works and I'm delighted. Thanks again. :D

Reaction score
I got my 1TB TC today - and have been struggling for hours to set it up. Obviously, no luck yet...

TC flashes it's amber light patiently, broadcasting a signal (Apple network 8cc6f16) that my iPhone 3G(S) can connect to - but my MBP has no such luck. (I'm running Snow Leopard, btw.)

After step 4 in your guide (click "continue"... joining wireless network), in stead of going to the screen that allows for step 5 - i get a message saying: "An error occurred joining the selected wireless network." AirPort Utility advises me to: "close the configuration window and try again". Which I do. To no avail.

And this little scene has been replaying over and over for the greatest part of the day.

Can anybody help me figure this out?

Reaction score
Time Capsule and Computer on Different Networks

I purchased a Time Capsule for the sole purpose of backing up my MacBook Pro. My husband's computer (a Dell) is connected to the internet by cable and my computer, printer etc all work off a wifi network.

For my first Time Capsule backup I used the ethernet cable from my husband's computer. After struggling to do this and finally figuring out how to properly reset the Time Capsule, I was able to do a first backup. I would like to do all future back ups wirelessly. Every backup attempt since the initial successful one has failed. The message that I get is that the Time Capsule and the computer may be on different networks.

I did not desire to set up a second or alternate wifi network. (And I don't desire to add the Dell to a secondary or alternate network.) How can I get my time capsule and computer to talk to each other over my existing wifi network?
If I should be considering a 2nd wifi network or replacing my current network, I need to understand why and have simple instructions for a novice.

Other Info:
During the set up of Time Capsule I selected to join an existing wifi network
MacBook Pro 5 3
OS X 10.6.7
Linksys router
Time Capsule 1 TB

Reaction score
Time Machine and Time Capsule

So, here's my situation:
I had an external hard drive (500GB) that I have been using solely as Time Machine disk for a year and then last week it ran out of space. When I looked around for alternative, Time Capsule was recommended.
I got a 2TB version of Time Capsule. Successfully created a new wireless network (existing side by side with my existing one), and now assigning it to do Time Machine. It is now doing the first backup for my MacBook Pro. It seems like it is backing up about 250GB of data.

My question:
1. Does this mean it is backing the MacBook Pro from zero?
2. If so, is it OK for me to delete all the previous backups in the first external hard disk?

Appreciate your comments. Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.