operating 2 networks

Reaction score
hey, would it be possible to make two networks from one, let me clarify here, I am planning on a mac mini in 1-2 weeks (after update*cross fingers*) that will be wired, along with that im getting a time capsule for Time Machine and wireless N.

The Family Desktop and my moms Laptop (both windows:Angry: ) only have G cards in them. I am also planning to pickup the Macbook Pro redesign in June which will utilize both wireless N and wireless time machine. Question is I want the N network to have priority and not get bogged down with g interference slowing things down. Could I make a second network come out of the Linksys WRT54G I currently have by plugging an ethernet cable from the Time Capsule ethernet port to the WAN port on the Linksys?

Would this work in creating two networks run by me without worrying about slowdown when the MBP comes around without paying for another modem and fees for internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I have no idea if this is possible, but I am curious, what do you anticipate doing that will be bogged down by a wireless G connection?

Wireless B runs at 11Mbps.
Wireless G runs at 55Mbps
Wireless N runs at 100Mbps.

However, the average residential high speed internet service runs at 1.5Mbps. Some premium services can get as high as 6Mbps, but even at 6Mbps, you're only using a fraction of the bandwidth available with a wireless G connection.

I guess I'm just pointing out that wireless G is already probably anywhere between 10x-90x faster than you're internet connection depending on the level of service. So you would need to be doing some pretty intensive networking to bog down a wireless G connection in a residential application.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, you can create 2 networks like this. Am currently doing this myself.

Have the cable modem with wireless router A attached to it - located at one side of the house.

Router A is hard wired to all the desktops and has the network printer attached to it. Have also run a line from this router to the opposite corner of the house which is attached to router B.

Router B is attached to my A/V equipment (for firmware updates) and has an extra cable sitting there for when I want to connect one of the notebooks on that side of the house.

Both routers are wireless and set up on separate channels. I found some little widget that would show me all the channels being used by my neighbors and have made sure I'm staying clear of them for best reception and non-interference.

The PS3 uses router A wirelessly. My wife's MB stays on router B wirelessly. I roam all over the house and outside with my MBP. Have both networks set up as my Preferred Networks in System Preferences and this allows me to change to the network that's providing the best service at any location around the house.

The only issue - the printer. Whichever network you set up the printer to use on a machine is where you'll need to print from without going in and changing the print settings. And yes, you can print while connected to router B even while the printer sits attached to router A.

A machine connected to router B will be able to administer both routers while a machine connected to router A will have no access to administration of router B.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have no idea if this is possible, but I am curious, what do you anticipate doing that will be bogged down by a wireless G connection?

Wireless B runs at 11Mbps.
Wireless G runs at 55Mbps
Wireless N runs at 100Mbps.

However, the average residential high speed internet service runs at 1.5Mbps. Some premium services can get as high as 6Mbps, but even at 6Mbps, you're only using a fraction of the bandwidth available with a wireless G connection.

I guess I'm just pointing out that wireless G is already probably anywhere between 10x-90x faster than you're internet connection depending on the level of service. So you would need to be doing some pretty intensive networking to bog down a wireless G connection in a residential application.

i have 10 Mbps internet and I see that speed frequently even higher sometimes. mainly though i think i will be wanting the range that N offers as well as wireless streaming of HD which currently at G slows down on 720p and is unbearable at 1080p.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.