time machine won't work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Hello,

I was going to set up time machine the other day but it said I had to format the disk because it was in windows format...so I hit cancel so that I could backup the file. It showed both of my external hard drives to choose which one I wanted to use.

Now I've got it backed up...both harddrives plugged in...and when i go to set up time machine and pick a drive to use, nothing shows up. I restarted my computer and still, nothing.

Can someone please help! I want to back up my system.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Is the drive that you used to back up on the desktop? You shouldn't need to pick a drive to back up after you've set it up once. I have 4 hd's one of which I use for back ups. Obviously it's always mounted. I also have an external 500gb, that I have other stuff on and I don't turn that on unless I need something from it.

Make sure it is on, if it's got backup files on it ,it should show a time machine-esqe drive logo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hello,

I was going to set up time machine the other day but it said I had to format the disk because it was in windows format...so I hit cancel so that I could backup the file. It showed both of my external hard drives to choose which one I wanted to use.

Now I've got it backed up...both harddrives plugged in...and when i go to set up time machine and pick a drive to use, nothing shows up. I restarted my computer and still, nothing.

Can someone please help! I want to back up my system.

Thanks

You could use Disk Utility to manually format the disk you want to use with Time Machine to HFS+. Then run the Time Machine app again and the newly formatted drive should show as a selectable backup drive.

mrplow

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.