Time Machine screwed me!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I put my trust in Apple, and now I'm paying the price. I had an issue with Bootcamp and reinstalling Windows because Bootcamp would not let me partition the drive. The only way I could see to fix it was to format and reinstall everything, which I did. A had all of my information saved on my external drive with Time Machine and knew I could easily reinstall it all using that, so without hesitating I went ahead.

Unfortunately, I shouldn't have been so trusting. After reinstalling I noticed I had a lot more free memory from before. Then when I started using my computer, I found that it only installed by backup from January 23rd!! Everything else between then and now, which I know was backed up, somehow disappeared! I suppose I'll have to take my MBP and drive into the Apple Store to the "Genius" Bar, but to be honest my faith in them is much lower than my faith in Time Machine ever was.

Irreplaceable pictures, music I bought off iTunes and Amazon, class files, programs, all gone. Before I started this mess I had a feeling I should have made a redundant backup with another program. Hopefully others will read this and not make my mistake. As for Time Machine, I think I won't be using it again after this.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That does not sound very good. I wonder what happened? You sure the drive is smaller now? Did you have it plugged in when you did the reinstall? I am trying to figure out how the data disappeared.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That does not sound very good. I wonder what happened? You sure the drive is smaller now? Did you have it plugged in when you did the reinstall? I am trying to figure out how the data disappeared.

What I meant about it being smaller is that after everything installed on my internal drive from Time Machine, I still had a lot more space on my internal drive. The fact that several files, programs, and other data I've accumulated between 1/23 and now is now gone accounts for the sudden extra space I have on my internal HD.

As for what happened to all of my backed up data between 1/23 and now, God only knows. For now I have Time Machine turned off and I pray Apple can do something about this mess.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
VERY good idea. Do not write anything to that drive and hopefully someone can get your data back. That really bugs me as to what happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Wow that sucks! I have had to do a reinstall from Time Machine twice and never had a problem with it. Hopefully they can sort it out for you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.