iPhoto Moving Photos

Reaction score
Ok guys so I keep my photos in iPHOTO arranged differently than iPHOTO wants me to. Basically the first (at the very top) album in my iPHOTO library is composed of "Random Photos" so when I drag random pictures from my desktop into the iPHOTO window, it auto-imports them into a new "event" at the bottom of the window.

Here's where I'm frustrated. I want to move the photos out of the bottom folder and into the "Random Photos" folder at the top of the window (which isn't visible unless i Scroll up). I can't grab the photos and just "push" the window to scroll up while I hold the mouse button down to drag them...so I am forced to drop them in a folder then scroll up, pick them back up and so on and so forth until the folder at the very top becomes visible again....

What's the EASY way to do this? IT'S EXTREMELY frustrating!!!

Reaction score
When you click and drag and you reach the very top of the window it'll scroll up for you. You have to be right under the top of the window for it to do it.

OP
S
Reaction score
i doesn't do it for me....i know that's how it SHOULD work but it doesnt. I thought about just cutting the images from one album and PASTING to another but when I cut the albums it never lights up the paste option either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Unfortunately, the organization abilities of iPhoto are just about non-existent when you have more than a few dozen events. It's really an embarrassment to the rest of the applications that come pre-installed with OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
They should already be there. The library is all the photos in iPhoto and the events folder are only to make it easier for you to find what you are looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
did you even read the thread?

Yes I did. You are frustrated that it is hard for you to move pictures to a file where they are already anyway...

Reaction score
I had the EXACT same problem last night, and came her to find an answer!! No one really has one though??? I have my photos so mixed up after trying to drag them everywhere!!! no folders have the right name now, and there are duplicate photos EVERYWHERE!!!! I can not imagine this is so confusing and can't be done. HELP!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I discovered this little trick. If the random event you want to move them to is named, say, 'AAA' then rename the new event that iPhoto has installed them in to a name closer to where you want to move them to, say 'AAB'. Then the two events appear next to each other and you can grab event AAB and move it to AAA. Job done.

The real problem is when you want to sort your newly imported photos to separate events and for that I sort photos into separate folders named as above and on importing iPhoto keeps those folder names as event names and the job of moving them to existing events is a doodle.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
iPhoto is a piece of ****

Can't easily move photos. The last thing you ever want to do is iPhoto>View>Sort Photos>make any selection. This wipes your previous group folders. 2,000+ photos now without order. Punched my mac. Where is the phucking UNDO?!?!? Like I said...iPhoto is a piece of ****.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Can't easily move photos. The last thing you ever want to do is iPhoto>View>Sort Photos>make any selection. This wipes your previous group folders. 2,000+ photos now without order. Punched my mac. Where is the phucking UNDO?!?!? Like I said...iPhoto is a piece of ****.

Are you sure that was all you did. I am constantly resorting my photos and my events and folders all remain intact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I believe you would "undo" this by going back to iPhoto>View>Sort Photos and selecting whatever method was originally being used to sort them. Should put them back the way they were originally.

Reaction score
As Alycia said, you have to drag the picture and sit it on the top bar then it will start scrolling up for you. It is quite frustrating to find the right position but it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.