Harddrive Replacement

Reaction score
So I wanted to maybe replace my HD in my black MB to maybe like 250 GB and what not, but I was wondering if there was a certain brand that had to be put in there or just any 2.5 drive. Also How would I get the OS on the new drive if I did do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hello! Any 2.5" Serial ATA drive will work and they are very easy to replace in the macbook. If you have a MicroCenter or some other computer outlet store, you can find them for a very decent price and they'll also lead you to the right spot (I always have trouble locating them)

To install OSX:

After you have the new hard drive installed, turn on your macbook and insert the OSX install disk (number one of course) that came with your macbook while at the same time holding down the "c" on your keyboard. This will make it boot up from the disk and begin the process of installing the OS.

When it finally boots, choose English as your language and then go to the top bar and pick "tools". Now go down to "disk utility". When this window opens, select the drive on the left panel. On the right panel, choose "erase". From here, make sure the drive is formatted as "Mac OS extended (journaled)" (also known as HFS+) and give it a name if you so choose. Then click "erase". After this is done, close out of disk utility and follow the instructions on the screen to install OSX. Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Trent's right. I did it with no difficulties. It is as easy as he says. Just take your time and don't try to rush it. No need to strip a thread or anything like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
One little warning though: make sure you have a small Torx driver for the screws on your drive bay. I have a full write up on it here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
One little warning though: make sure you have a small Torx driver for the screws on your drive bay. I have a full write up on it here.
I believe I read somewhere it requires a #4 torx. I could be mistaken as I can't seem to find it now but I know this set has the correct size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.