Reformat: Can I save my programs without discs?

Reaction score
I'm doing a full rewipe of my HD and I have some programs installed on here that I don't have install discs for, GarageBand in particular. They came on the computer when I bought and I'm assuming aren't carried on the 10.5 upgrade I installed. I'm not too familiar with mac, but since everything is drag and drop friendly, can I just drag them from the applications folder to an external HD and drag them back when i'm done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If you don't have possession of the discs, you technically don't have any legal possession of the software or its use. We would be unable to help you for this reason.
Did you buy your Mac new? The OS is separate from the iLife bundle but when you buy a Mac new or refurbished, Apple gives you both.

Reaction score
iLife will be on the original install disks that came with your computer. Hopefully you still have them around. They'll be grey.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
To get them off the install discs you'll need a program called Pacifist.

OP
K
Reaction score
computer came off ebay with no software. so when I upgraded, I didn't do the format wipe and it's never really quite ran right since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
Sometime its just a case of copying the application file to an external drive would be enough although it depends if there are any support files such as Libraries that is requires.

I suggest you return to eBay and get hold of a Mac OS X disk so you can do a fresh reinstall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Technically, what the person did on eBay was illegal. If this was a recent transaction, you may be able to get a copy.
A co-worker bought a PC on eBay and it came with XP but no discs. He got PayPal or eBay involved and they made the seller buy him a brand new copy.

Without any discs, disussion of any such matter breaks the EULA and in violation of the forum rules.

M

MacHeadCase

computer came off ebay with no software. so when I upgraded, I didn't do the format wipe and it's never really quite ran right since.

Give Apple a call and ask for restore disk replacement. They ask only for a small fee and you get all the original software installers, OS X installer and hardware diagnostic tools for your Mac model.

Another example of why buying a used Mac without the software disks is NOT a good idea. You have to buy the software after buying the Mac. And the seller made some dough off of your back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
No disks then no buy. As MHC said, contact Apple.

OP
K
Reaction score
Dude, my mother bought this for me as a Christmas gift. It was the one stipulation I gave her. Don't buy me anything if it doesn't come with discs. Every computer i've ever had without original software has been a total nightmare. And.... she sticks it to me again. Argh!

OP
K
Reaction score
Reformat OS Notebook Complications???

I'm about to format and reinstall my OS (Leopard) on my iBook G4. I tried this thing once on a Windows laptop and had HUGE problems cause none of the necessary laptop functions were supported by the raw Windows disc. Am I going to have this problem with Mac?

Reaction score
I'm curious about the conditions that gave you so much trouble with Windows, but this isn't the place for that. Leopard ships with the necessary support for all the hardware Apple says it will run on.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's not that bad, though a little bit of a hassle.
Calling Apple as suggested is prob. your best and easiest bet.
They only charge $20 or so for replacement disks.
With them you'll have the original iLife suite (inc'g Garageband) that came on the computer available for re-install along with the computer diagnostic tools, etc.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Most windows notebooks will require either the 'restore' disk or the 'driver' disk that came with them in order to enable all of their proprietary hardware.

Not the same here - the advantage of having an OS that is made by the same company that makes the hardware.

See your other thread - you will need the original disks for all the software that came with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.