Poor quality sound... Boot Camp XP / Vista

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post here! :D

I'm the very proud owner of a 24" Alu Imac. I bought it last October. I have finally made the switch, but as I have customers running windows I decided to use boot camp so I can continue to support windows platforms, and I also occasionally play games.

My question is to do with the sound quality in Vista - no matter what switches or parameters I've changed I can't get rid of the muffled, hissy sound. I play a few games that run through windows so it's nice to have good sound!

If I plug in external speakers it's as clear as a bell - but I'm trying to cut down on cables. It's more a nuisance than anything else.

In Leopard I have crystal-clear sound using the internal speakers. In Vista (also XP when that was installed) it's very poor.

I've re-created the boot camp partition, reloaded Vista, applied correct driver updates etc, all to no avail. I'm now running a vanilla Vista SP1 install on my boot camp partition and have left the problem for someone else who knows what I'm doing wrong! ;D

Any suggestions? I hope I posted in the right place... Thanks in anticipation!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.