WoW pauses if run from HDD on 2nd bay.

Reaction score
Hi mac owners.

I'm currently having very annoying problem. When i play WoW on 8-core Mac Pro with 8800 GT video card from primary hard drive, everything runs normally. But recently, i bought 750 WD HDD, i put it into bay 2. Formatted it using "Mac OS X (journaled)". Copied WoW there and here problem starts. It hangs for about 4 seconds, and there's a speedup-like sound coming from my Mac. I think that HDD is put to idle mode, or sleep. And when files needed to be loaded, mac accelerates hdd to get appropriate files. But this makes me annoyed.

I've inserted another HDD Samsung's, copied WoW - same problem.

Any help on that one?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Have you tried re-installing WoW to the second drive instead of copying it? Maybe there is a hidden file that isn't getting copied over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
That shouldn't be it. I copied my original WoW folder from my old computer (A) to my newer desktop (B). From then, we transfered (B) to my brother's laptop (C), with all the updates and such. It is still the same root file however, program files/world of warcraft (yes, I'm on a PC). From my bro's laptop, we copied it to my newest desktop (D) and it worked just fine there. I don't think it would be a windows advantage, as Mac installs things more in one folder than windows does. I don't know how to help you, just trying to explain that you can copy the WoW folder and have it work without needing the discs itself.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for replies. I will try installing it. Maybe this exactly what causes the problem. But to be honest, I don't think so. Still, i'll try it, so I could exclude it.
I made a copy because, yeah, on PC, everything works ok, even if you re-install windows having WoW copied to 2nd hard drive.

Anyways, thanks for your answers. I'll get back to this topic after I've preformed an install test.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok, i made my tests.

Well, it was a HDD issue. I have WD Caviar GP (WD7500AACS) that has it's intelligent power saving system built-in. So it automatically puts it to idle, in order to save power. And as it was said on their site, this HDD is perfect for storage. Not for installing programs onto it. So, it was my bad, that i didn't read all the info.

Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The Caviar GP, is that the "green" one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.