Printing Problems with mac

Reaction score
Im having serious problems with my mac and printing some of my assignment, I have been faffing around with things for the last few days.... and I have been ending up copying my documents onto a windows PC and printing it out from there as windows does not seem to have any problems.

Word 08 and pag numbers
When I insert page numbers into my document, the document gets all screwed up.
20080413-caqimdb1p2apxmdbsqeiks6etc.jpg

No colour
Another problem im having is that the printer window keeps telling me I have no colour cartridge, When I do and there is plenty of ink in it. (im using a lexmark X5490)
20080413-db8bauxf8k9mkrxkar3n8xebbe.jpg

I have also had more problems..this is just a short example of what im having problems with now.

OP
I
Reaction score
Now im getting this why I try and print:

20080413-qgrjqcpjsup26768b48g4nxygb.jpg

Also, When I click print once, why Do I get two tasks up in the printing list window?

20080413-8rrsgackbbkpq7w3hicm4g78qe.jpg

This is hopeless

OP
I
Reaction score
I had enough of the Lexmark printer. Since having all those problems I decided to install a new Canon printer.

I have had no problems with this new printer and it seems to work fine. Silly Lexmark's printer

M

MacHeadCase

Seems like Word has a corrupted font cache (I've seen this around here on a few occasions so seems like a Word occurrence). Download FontNuke and clean out the font cache.

As for your printer refusing to print in colour, did you look at your settings in the print window ? Did you select the colour settings, etc.

I dunno what type of printing window Word gives you, I don't use Word at all : maybe another member who does can verify this for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
The scrambled letters definitely a Font problem. I've had this problem in the past in Safari. Try MacHeadCase's suggestion of FontNuke. And please report back on the results. I've never used FontNuke and am very interested in the results, because this has happened to me twice to far. If it doesn't work, I'll try to remember what I did to solve the problem.

I use Word frequently. It has all the same options as most other programs with print options. I have my color options set for grayscale by default. The color options allow for b&w only, lighter or darker ink, fax optimization, etc. but nothing that would cause this. Could this be a driver problem?

M

MacHeadCase

FontNuke works great ! It might be a one trick pony but what it does, it does it quite well. I had tried once to get rid of a corrupted font cache with another utility and it only worked with FontNuke. :)

OP
I
Reaction score
I downloaded and installed fonts nuke. I run the program and cleared my font cache and then the computer suddenly restarted. When it rebooted I opened up my document again and tried to insert the page numbers. The document then still becomes muddled up just like before.

I did some research and found that the Lexmark's printer has driver issues with Mac OS X. after having all those problems I installed a Canon printer and it's working perfectly fine.

M

MacHeadCase

Good to see you have no problems with the Canon printer though. Maybe there is a conflict between the fonts used and the Lexmark printer driver.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Good to see you have no problems with the Canon printer though. Maybe there is a conflict between the fonts used and the Lexmark printer driver.

Probably just a weak printer driver. Lexmark is the company that started the trend of completely brain-dead printers, that totally rely on software. This is great for cost-reduction, but if the software isn't particularly strong or wasn't developed for your specific OS version, it can create some odd issues like this one.

I like Canon's printers - particularly because they tend to use ink tanks instead of expensive cartridges. Their drivers are usually pretty decent as well, unless of course you try to network them - but that's another story altogether :)

M

MacHeadCase

When we change our inkjet printer one day, we'll be seriously considering a Canon printer : we are really fed up with Epson's tactics with the ink cartridges.

OP
I
Reaction score
I don't think that the printer has anything to do with the problem I am having with Microsoft Word. I have uninstalled all the Lexmark printer drivers but Microsoft Word is still being difficult and jumbling up my document. I think it may have something to do with some of the pages in my document being landscape and portrait but who knows.

I have never used Canon printers before and I am yet to buy one for it. is Ink for Canon printers generally cheaper?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't think that the printer has anything to do with the problem I am having with Microsoft Word. I have uninstalled all the Lexmark printer drivers but Microsoft Word is still being difficult and jumbling up my document. I think it may have something to do with some of the pages in my document being landscape and portrait but who knows.

Note that many applications that use WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) actually rely on the printer driver to format what the document looks like on-screen. I know you said that you uninstalled the print driver - did you actually use the uninstaller that Lexmark provided, or did you simply remove the printer from your list?

I have never used Canon printers before and I am yet to buy one for it. is Ink for Canon printers generally cheaper?

If they use ink tanks, yes. Most of Canon's better printers use separate ink tanks for each color (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black). Those tanks are not only easily refillable, but generally only run around $12/tank. And being that you only replace what you use up, it's usually quite a bit cheaper than buying a $45 cartridge that is not (easily) refillable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Do a google search for Mac font issues and you'll see that you are not alone.

I've had this problem in Safari. OS X includes an application called Font Book. It lists all your fonts and puts a dot next to the ones that have duplicate fonts sharing the same name. (There may be a better explanation that that, but you get the idea.) You can manually select these and then use Edit > Resolve Duplicates to help OS X sort them all out.

As you can imagine, two different fonts with the same name could cause this type of thing.

Alternatively, if it's just one file causing you grief, try changing the font of all the text within it to something different. There may just be a problem with the one particular font this document uses. If so, you can disable any individual font causing you problems.

M

MacHeadCase

Jaygray has it right for the fonts issue. Do you have a lot of fonts installed or just the default ones ?

OP
I
Reaction score
the canon printer that I am using is the Canon MP210, and only uses to ink cartridges. I used the Lexmark UnInstaller which was in the applications folder.

I went into the font book application and did what you said for all the fonts with the Dot next to it. Word is still doing the same thing.

It dosent matter any more, I just dident bother putting the page numbers in and its fine. It may possibly just be a one off bug that im getting with that document.

I only have the default fonts installed, no new ones at all

M

MacHeadCase

Very wise to use the uninstaller, imme. That way, you're sure no bits are left behind. :)

Ok about the default fonts. If ever you instal some, I would suggest you use LinoType's freebie FontExplorer X. It's a good font manager and it checks for font conflicts, corrupted fonts, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.