Time Capsule Question

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Macbook Pro 17" and a time capsule last week. I connected everything up and did my first back up using an ethernet connection. When the status window pops up it says that there is 23.6 G to back up. then the count down of files, size starts... it goes for about 2 hours and at 16.89 G it stops. It doesn't say there is a problem just that it stops. When you check the size of the time capsule using the Airport Utility it says that the disk size is 19.4 G. I called the apple and talked with the techs three times. On the third time they told me to bring it back to the store and get a new one. I did and just went through the process again... guess what it did the exact same thing. My concern/worry is that it isn't backing up all my stuff for some reason.. maybe it encountered a problem on the new macbook pro.. although there is no error message to that effect. No 'the back up failed'. Is it possible the 23.6 G number in the status window is incorrect and is just an estimate?

thank you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I only used Time Machine while waiting for SuperDuper! to be updated after Leopard came out - but, I do not believe it backs up 'all' of the system files. It is not designed to be able to restore without an existing install of the OS on your machine. My guess is this would be the difference.

OP
D
Reaction score
I think you are right

I think you make a great point. How big is the Mac OS leopard?

Great point!

Thank you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's been a little while since a fresh install, but I'm thinking Leopard was right around the 4 GB size you are missing in the initial TM back up.

I do remember my initial back up when I was using TM, was not as large as the used space on my drive. I do believe it only backs up your users folder, apps, pref settings and such.

Nothing wrong with TM and it seemed to work flawlessly while I was using it, but this is why I've gone back to SuperDuper! I much prefer having a full bootable backup so if anything does happen, I just simply boot to the other drive and keep going until I have the time to replace the internal drive.

TM is probably better for those that need to maintain copies of files through several modifications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.