• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Store Payment

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
Hey guys,

The apple store is closed, and is not open tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone might know if they would take cash, and then 2 credit cards as a payment. I would think so, but i'm just making sure since the online store only accepts two cards. BTW this apple store is in Birmingham.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I don't see why not, I work in retail and have done that before... I can't imagine why it'd be any different at the Apple store.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome! Thank you for your response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Best Buy did that when I bought Cermac....I put I think $200 cash, $300 on my Visa check card, and the rest on my wife's Best Buy credit card...I think that's not an unusual sitch in the retail world...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hey guys,

The apple store is closed, and is not open tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone might know if they would take cash, and then 2 credit cards as a payment. I would think so, but i'm just making sure since the online store only accepts two cards. BTW this apple store is in Birmingham.
Well, it would depend on what you are buying. (eg. iPhone... forget it)

And this is just my opinion, but if you need to use two credit cards and cash for something, then you really can't afford it and probably shouldn't buy it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it would depend on what you are buying. (eg. iPhone... forget it)

And this is just my opinion, but if you need to use two credit cards and cash for something, then you really can't afford it and probably shouldn't buy it.

I can afford it, however, I'm a college student looking to go into film editing, notice "college student" so I can only get $1000 credit limit; and the juniper only gave me $1000 ish so I have to put the rest in cash. it makes sense to me to build my credit score, plus the iTunes rewards are pretty cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I can afford it, however, I'm a college student looking to go into film editing, notice "college student" so I can only get $1000 credit limit; and the juniper only gave me $1000 ish so I have to put the rest in cash. it makes sense to me to build my credit score, plus the iTunes rewards are pretty cool.
I did notice the "college student" part, hence my reply. ;)

I agree it is a good thing to start building credit while you're in college. However, it really isn't such a great idea to immediately max out those credit cards as soon as you get them. You will also end up paying much more for it in the long run with interest added to your total. Get the card, but use it for small purchases that you can pay off completely by the next statement.
You will build your credit score faster and have much better credit by simply paying bills on time. Adding two credit cards and maxing them out right away won't help as much as you think it will.
College students only get approved for lesser credit lines for a reason, quite frankly they are a risk... and what you are suggesting is exactly the kind of risk card companies are talking about.
Even if you have the money to make the payments each month, then I would suggest saving it over time and then paying for the machine without credit.
It takes less time to save for something first opposed to paying it off from a credit card. Plus, when you save up you don't pay the interest. Sure, you have to wait longer to get it, but in the end it is worth it.

This advice goes for anyone, though. For anything besides a car or a home, if you cannot pay for it outright... and then still pay your bills, put food in your mouth, clothes, etc. on time each month... then you really can't afford it. Having the money (or credit) in hand for something at this exact moment is not the same as being able to afford it.

Do what you like, it's your decision. I am just trying to offer some advice that could save you from some major headaches later on.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
Well said D3v1L80Y. That's exactly what my parents taught me and its helping me out quite a bit since I'm away at college now.

Do what you want to do its your money. if you think you wont have any problems in the future from the purchase go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac 2.0ghz w/ Superdrive. 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive w/ Leopard OS
I agree with D3v1L80Y also. Maxing out your card right away will do you very little good credit wise.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well said D3v1L80Y. That's exactly what my parents taught me and its helping me out quite a bit since I'm away at college now.

Do what you want to do its your money. if you think you wont have any problems in the future from the purchase go for it.

My parents taught me the same...

I have the cash on hand to pay for it. 12% isn't all that much in comparison, and 90 days same as cash for the juniper card will be paid off in the first 85 days, along with at least half of the first card within 20 days (to avoid interest)... so all in all it's going to cost me an extra $60 to make this transaction, and I also get an iTunes reward card that is more than halfway to a $25 iTunes gift card. lol. I have put much thought into this decision (a good month or so).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got my new MBP with no problem... Thanks guys and/or gals!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Hey guys,

I do believe I saw someone do exactly that at the Birmingham Apple Store.

PS War Eagle! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.