Mail setup problem

Reaction score
I just got a new Mac Pro. I setup the mail program to pull the email off my isp(pop). My problem is, I can get the new mail in my inbox, but I cannot send it out. The program times out every time. My isp doesn't really have a clue about OSX. I called Applecare and tried all of their tricks, including creating a test profile and nothing worked. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Mac or PC, it should all be the same when it comes to how it's being sent. Check your ports, outgoing server, and whatnot agagin. REALLY check it, because I had trouble before with mine and I've come to find out that there was a few differences between that and my Microsoft Outlook when I was primarily a PC. But that was using POP from my website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Who is your ISP? I know this might seem lame, but did you verify the SMTP address in your mail account?

OP
A
Reaction score
Who is your ISP? I know this might seem lame, but did you verify the SMTP address in your mail account?

I'll check the address. for the initial setup, all of the information auto filled, so maybe somethign went wrong. The isp is the local phone company (Bloomingdale Communications- small town)

OP
A
Reaction score
Mac or PC, it should all be the same when it comes to how it's being sent. Check your ports, outgoing server, and whatnot agagin. REALLY check it, because I had trouble before with mine and I've come to find out that there was a few differences between that and my Microsoft Outlook when I was primarily a PC. But that was using POP from my website.

I think the ports I tried were 25, 587 and 1 other(4 something I think), but nothing worked. They all timed out. I'll check them again in the morning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro
Some ISPs do not allow POP or IMAP e-mails to be sent. It has to do with spamming (someone hijacking your account to send tons of e-mail through your ISP).

That is the case with my ISP. I can't use Mail to send e-mails from my Gmail account that is IMAP'ped to Mail.

Reaction score
Any other suggestions?

I had the same problem with my Macbook and just trashed the installed mail program altogether and went with Thunderbird.

Thunderbird integrates with gmail. You just need to go to your gmail account and set it up for pop3. It also works with Yahoo by downloading YPOPS! Heck, you can integrate a ton of various mail accounts to work with Thunderbird with the following program: http://webmail.mozdev.org/

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out and find a way to get my isp to make some changes. They have never seen a mac pro, so if i take it down there, i may not get it back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.