"duplicating/syncing" desktop's software and settings on my notebook (for traveling)

Reaction score
I do computer-related work from home on my Mac Pro (desktop). When I travel, I generally copy all of the files I need to my iPod and then transfer them to my MacBook (notebook) as needed. This method of transferring works fine for documents, pictures, movies, etc, but is there any (easy-ish) way to duplicate or sync my desktop's software and settings onto my notebook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
There is .mac this is a syncing service you pay about £60 in the UK or for a years' subscription. This gives you an email address @mac.com, a certain amount of space on a server, known as you iDisk accessible on any mac, and syncing abilities between not only macs and macs, but PCs too I believe. Due to apple's pricing regime it's $99 over in the USA *sulk* I hate to bash apple but their pricing is just ridiculous, I paid £699 for my mac, $1500ish. I know it's probably all import duties but i mean REALLY PEOPLE XD

You can find it here You can actually try for 60 days before you buy with limited functionality (by which I mean you get less iDisk space but other than that it is basically the same).

I'd recommend it, it'll integrate perfectly with your macs and from what you say it's probably just what you're after.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
.Mac is really a great tool. Here in Canada it's $109 CDN. To me it's worth every penny. It remembers all the stuff that takes a lot of effort to set (things like Preferences, Dock Icon settings, Bookmarks etc.)

But as far as I know, .Mac doesn't sync to PCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
yeahhhh my bad xD you can't sync to PCs but you can access files from PCs via the .mac website

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.